Knockin' off a 3 year old to-do project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Will post more pics to show off the effort. Sneak preview only here...
blockid.jpg
69steerinng.jpg

Looks like a lot of very familiar cast iron to me.

I'm a Ford guy, not sure what that motor serial number is without looking......
Saginaw steering box? Looks similar to the one I used in place of the primitive factory steering on my 1949 Willys wagon resto-mod...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess......putting a big block in the Camaro, maybe?

I'm guessing small block. Can't see the casting line on the crank so can't tell whether its forged or cast. Can't quite read the casting number.

Casting 3932388, used as Z28 blocks as well as SS cars. Removed a non-original 350 from the car to put this one in. Bought the block/heads 4 years ago and had them professionally done over and the block rebuilt. Nothing to radical though. She should push 360 hp. Spent time and money buying all correct castings/datings for block/head, carb, and exhaust/intake manifolds. All made in the 60 day period prior to the car production (Mar 69). The accessories were all original to the car; generator, water pump, starter, power steering. Motor was built in 2010 and went onto a stand until last week. Detailing the engine bay was the headache/time consumer that delayed the project. Gonna run a Pypes stainless system off the manifolds and through their racepro mufflers. Put on a Ram clutch too. Lookin' good so far. She probably won't be running for another week or so. Lotta work.

Attachments

• 69eng2.jpg
    69eng2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: basod and ScotO
Beautiful. Are you going to use the Rochester Quadrajet on that original manifold? I bet I've rebuilt about 2000 of those. You can get a spread bore Holley that will provide a lot more jetting, power valve options.

I am after the closest to original as possible. The Qjet is another dated item I searched out and bought. I had it rebuilt to 1 level below "show quality". That amounted to a painted surface as opposed to a plated surface. They mounted it on a 350 and set the levels at the shop.

Reactions: ScotO
Casting 3932388, used as Z28 blocks as well as SS cars. Removed a non-original 350 from the car to put this one in. Bought the block/heads 4 years ago and had them professionally done over and the block rebuilt. Nothing to radical though. She should push 360 hp. Spent time and money buying all correct castings/datings for block/head, carb, and exhaust/intake manifolds. All made in the 60 day period prior to the car production (Mar 69). The accessories were all original to the car; generator, water pump, starter, power steering. Motor was built in 2010 and went onto a stand until last week. Detailing the engine bay was the headache/time consumer that delayed the project. Gonna run a Pypes stainless system off the manifolds and through their racepro mufflers. Put on a Ram clutch too. Lookin' good so far. She probably won't be running for another week or so. Lotta work.

Oh oh...someones gonna need a fund for tires...

Reactions: BrotherBart
So what's the 350 going in?, or are we guessing

Check out the photo in post 6.

update- in pics. should answer some questions.

Attachments

• 69engbay.jpg
    69engbay.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 69assembled.jpg
    69assembled.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 69goingin.jpg
    69goingin.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: basod and gmule
Is that just a Z28 or RS/SS?
A buddy of mine has a 69 Indy pace car drop top RS/SS White red interior - 27k original miles with the original redwalls and rims bagged in his garage.
He threw a fit at the inspection station that made him turn on the wipers.. they had never been used before.

You might want to get a priming shaft for the oil pump and run it on a drill if that block has been sitting for 3 years - be a shame to ruin something on the first fire

Status
Not open for further replies.