Know anything about a Hearthstone Harvest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
Anyone know anything on a Hearthstone Harvest stove? It's a discontinued model and I can't find anything on their website.

did you decide to not buy the dutchwest NC?

Going to look at it on Monday. Gotta keep my options open and came across the hearthstone on craigslist for 900. Just was trying to find out more about the stove since the internet yielded little info.

there was two diffrent versions and i belive both were original harvest started around 88 and the modA which was 92 to about 95 it was a nice stove about 40k btus

The Harvest was a bit of a "problem child" for Hearthstone. It had both front and side loading doors, burned 20" logs, and had a reversible 6" top or rear flue collar.

The Harvest was Hearthstone's original EPA Phase II "clean air" model, and incorporated a catalytic converter. It was introduced, as Stoveguy notes, in 1988: due to performance problems in the field, only 375 of those original models were produced. After a revamp of several internal components, production continued in 1989: in the ensuing three years, another 624 of the modified Harvests were sold.

Problems persisted, and a final reworked version, Harvest Mod A, was introduced in October, 1992. The final version worked much better, but was still somewhat "draft sensitive" (needed a strong updraft), and, like the earlier versions, required much time-consuming babysitting at cold startup, until the stones heated up enough to activate the catalytic converter.

We burned a Harvest Mod A on our showroom flue, and given the extreme updraft our 35' chimney produces, it worked just fine, except for a tendency for the catalytic converter element to load up. We sold it to a couple with a flat-roofed single story house, which proved to be a mistake: even after we added as much chimney as we felt we could adequately brace (about 8' above the flat roof), the updraft was insufficient to drive the Harvest with the cat engaged.

Hearthstone finally said goodbye to the Harvest, and catalytic reburn technology, in September, 1995. Today, parts availability is a bit of an issue: replacement catalytic converter elements, for example, are not available from Hearthstone, but can still be purchased from Woodmans.

I believe the one he is thinking about is up the road 10 miles from me. I saw it advertised but at $900 asking price didn't even go look at it since they were cat stoves and Hearthstone seemed to run away fast from cats. Now I know why thanks to Tom's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.