know of any sources for stove enamel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snydley

Hearth Supporter
Mar 7, 2008
Dansville NY (upstate)
My old Vermont Castings Resolute is in need of a paint job. It's got quite a few bare patches and I'd like to paint 'er up over the summer. I was in the local stove store last week and I asked him about getting some paint for the stove. He went in the back room and got a couple of regular sized spray cans of Vermont Castings "Bisquit" colored touch up paint and I was shocked when he told me they were $16.90/can. I couldn't believe it. I'd love to fix the stove up, but there's no way I'm gonna spend any where near that kind of money for a can of paint.
Do any of you know of any good sources of high temp enamel that can be used to paint a wood stove? I don't want black, I'd like a high gloss enamel. I'm willing to change the color if the price is right. If the price is too high the stove will have to stay the way it is, I've got principles, man. Too little money, and too many places for it to go. :shut: It's almost motorcycle season, and that's a money pit in and of itself! :coolgrin:

The local True Value hardware store has high temp paint in a wide variety of colors - can't recall price, but less than 16.80. I'm not sure how this paint will do on an enameled stove. This is quite different than just being painted.

True. The stove is porcelain enameled, not painted. Paint will visually cover up bare spots, but won't match the original. If just touching up, be sure to use very high temp paint like Stove Brite, sand and clean the area well, sand the adjacent good enamel lightly so that the paint will adhere to it. When painting, do it outside on a calm day or in an extremely well ventilated area. The fumes from Stove Brite and not compatible with brain cells. You might also look into exhaust header paint or perhaps BBQ paint for some alternatives.

Or for peace of mind and a good match, you could just use the VC recommended paint. For touchup the stove shouldn't need more than a can. $16 is less than a quarter tank of gas these days.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15989/

BeGreen said:
True. The stove is porcelain enameled, not painted. Paint will visually cover up bare spots, but won't match the original. If just touching up, be sure to use very high temp paint like Stove Brite, sand and clean the area well, sand the adjacent good enamel lightly so that the paint will adhere to it. When painting, do it outside on a calm day or in an extremely well ventilated area. The fumes from Stove Brite and not compatible with brain cells. You might also look into exhaust header paint or perhaps BBQ paint for some alternatives.

Or for peace of mind and a good match, you could just use the VC recommended paint. For touchup the stove shouldn't need more than a can. $16 is less than a quarter tank of gas these days.

I was using "paint" as a generic term. I realize it's enamel, hence the title of my thread. Thanks for the info., I'll check into it. As for 1/4 of a gallon of gas, sorry for your hardship but $16.00 puts more than 1/4 tank in my car

I know you said you don't want black, but I have seen stoves like yours look brand new after a sandblasting and a couple cans of black spray paint. Maybe something to think about long-term if you can't get the enamel to look new again.

snydley said:
BeGreen said:

I was using "paint" as a generic term. I realize it's enamel, hence the title of my thread. Thanks for the info., I'll check into it. As for 1/4 of a gallon of gas, sorry for your hardship but $16.00 puts more than 1/4 tank in my car

No problem. That's my truck, which fortunately has a big tank but goes a long way on a fillup. Our Prius is still around $35 for a fillup, but remember, gas is touching $4 out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.