Know what kind of tree/wood this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
After getting into firewood/cooking wood, it hadn't occured to me until now that I have two trees in the back that I've been cutting and throwing away. Anyone know if this a wood I should be holding onto? Bears no fruits nor nuts. Here are some photos of the leaves and trees.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe I have two Gold trees in my backyard lol Speaking of, I have a tree in the front that still seems to be green even in 15° weather. Has dropped acorns everywhere. I'll post that up in a sec. I'd like to get familiar with the trees on my property at least

IMG_20220208_141217__01.jpg IMG_20220208_141330.jpg IMG_20220208_141356.jpg IMG_20220208_141422.jpg IMG_20220208_141506.jpg

Texas state tree?

The acorns in the third pic of your second post look like the acorns we had in Europe. I think that is what folks here call "white oak", with the spikes that are on the red oak leaves being more rounded on the white oak leaves. The leaves you show on the ground are very rounded though - almost no undulations.

The acorns in the third pic of your second post look like the acorns we had in Europe. I think that is what folks here call "white oak", with the spikes that are on the red oak leaves being more rounded on the white oak leaves. The leaves you show on the ground are very rounded though - almost no undulations.
Yeah the second post is a completely different tree. The first one has two trees in it that are the same.

The second post(acorn tree) has those leaves I showed on the ground. And you can even see alot of them intertwined with the acorns. I was under the impression oak trees had much larger spread out leaves. These seem to be round and small when young and small, round with edges when older...

THe one in the left lower corner here is rather round. Though yours are rounder. But oaks do have a large variety in shape/characteristics. I'm not sure though. The acorns are dead-on with the trees I grew up with.
1644354939384.png

For front yard tree I immediately thought willow oak - Quercus phellos , with its very small acorns. Willow oak is commercially popular as a landscape tree, especially down South - https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=75 but acorn shape not right. Pics of acorn from OP are oblong, not round.
Started lookin, there are also many interesting, scrubby, non-comercial oaks in the southwest US that we barely hear about in the East.
Perhaps something like:
Quercus rugosa - net leaf oak https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=628
Quercus arizonica - Arizona white oak https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=623
Quercus emoryi - Emory o
ak The acorns "are borne on a very long stalk (1 to 3 inches)" similar to pics from OP's pic.
But the above three have small, or patchy range and not native to Dallas range of the OP.

Reactions: stoveliker
That net leaf oak looks almost just like it!! Front tree I mean. The rear trees I'm still stumped on. No pun intended...

I don't know the other tree.
Oak can keep their leaves on during winter, especially newer branches. (Beech is even more notorious for that - but this is not beech.)

The tree with green leaves could be a laurel oak, live oak or something called a Texas live oak. The bark says some type of live oak.

Reactions: AstroBoy and EbS-P
The tree with green leaves could be a laurel oak, live oak or something called a Texas live oak. The bark says some type of live oak.
Oooohhh that live oak looks eerily similar. Like, almost identical. It's between the blue oak and the live oak. Those leaves are on point. Even tho I don't believe blue oak has acorns

First tree looks like it belongs in the cherry family

I vote Live Oak on your front yard tree. Does it drop all its leaves in spring and grow new ones in March or thereabouts?

Here’s a link to a webpage that might be useful for you.

They cite Quercus Virginiana as the Live Oak on that page, but if you click on more information, it will give a brief mention of the “Escarpment Live Oak.” That’s Quercus Fusiformis that tends to grow in Hill Country, and it’s what we have on our property. I don’t have a specific photo of an oak tree, but I’m posting a picture that has some in it so that you can compare to what you’re seeing. You can look at range maps to see what is more common in your particular area.

C413CC75-2389-413B-A3D4-55356CA0A571.jpeg

Our Live oaks shoot up seedlings from the roots all the time. When I first moved here, I was surprised how much the young oak leaves looked to me like American Holly. It’s very different from the Oak leaves on the trees I grew up with in Virginia.

I moved to Texas four years ago, and there’s still one tree in my backyard that I haven’t managed to identify. I think it might be a cedar elm, but it doesn’t quite match. I’m including a link below from Texas A & M that goes over the basics of tree identification. It will give you some things to look out for when your back yard tree leafs out this spring, and those might help guide you to the right I.D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dfw245
I vote Live Oak on your front yard tree. Does it drop all its leaves in spring and grow new ones in March or thereabouts?

Here’s a link to a webpage that might be useful for you.

They cite Quercus Virginiana as the Live Oak on that page, but if you click on more information, it will give a brief mention of the “Escarpment Live Oak.” That’s Quercus Fusiformis that tends to grow in Hill Country, and it’s what we have on our property. I don’t have a specific photo of an oak tree, but I’m posting a picture that has some in it so that you can compare to what you’re seeing. You can look at range maps to see what is more common in your particular area.

View attachment 291959

Our Live oaks shoot up seedlings from the roots all the time. When I first moved here, I was surprised how much the young oak leaves looked to me like American Holly. It’s very different from the Oak leaves on the trees I grew up with in Virginia.

I moved to Texas four years ago, and there’s still one tree in my backyard that I haven’t managed to identify. I think it might be a cedar elm, but it doesn’t quite match. I’m including a link below from Texas A & M that goes over the basics of tree identification. It will give you some things to look out for when your back yard tree leafs out this spring, and those might help guide you to the right I.D.

Yeah im thinking it's live oak as well for the front tree. Everything points to live oak, except that alot of the leaves I see have sharp points on the ends

I haven't been in this house long enough, so this coming spring I'll see if the leaves shed. The back trees can't be cherry. They don't bear fruit or nuts of any sort.

Our live oaks have some leaves with points on the end (and younger leaves can have points on the sides, too). Here are some that my nine year old just grabbed for me from outside.

D96B5A0D-5083-4B5E-8470-33E049C92218.jpeg

One thing to keep in mind about the backyard tree is that a lot of trees didn’t produce normally this year because of last February’s freeze. Our cherry tree actually completely died, and our peach and loquat didn’t bear at all. Our mountain laurels never bloomed. This year wasn’t normal for trees.

This spring take some photos of buds, flowers, and leaves on the back yard tree and post them to this thread as an update. Some folks here are real experts at ID.

Ohh yeah those leaves look about right. The leaves must be younger on mine then because they almost have that sticker bush look. The ones they put near windows to deter thieves. I'm pretty convinced it's live oak now.

And I suppose that makes sense. Does the tree still green up like normal even if the fruit/nuts don't bloom? Because it had leaves galore. I may even have pics of back when it was warmer. But that's interesting to note. I didn't know alot of trees never recovered

Just in case you aren’t familiar with it, I’m going to link a resource here about Oak Wilt disease. I don’t know how common it is in your area of the state. It’s spreading fast in our area, but you may be far enough east that it isn’t in your area yet.

We’ve been told not to prune our oak trees between February and July to lessen the chances of beetle spread of the disease. We also paint any cuts we do make with regular spray paint as soon as we can after we make them. Normally trees don’t really benefit from painting wounds, but it’s important in the case of oak trees to block the fresh sap from a cut because that’s what attracts the beetles that carry oak wilt.

I only mention this since you have an oak tree in your front yard. It doesn’t seem to need any pruning at the moment, but it’s good to know the information.

Also, don’t panic if the leaves turn yellow and brown in the next couple of weeks. It’s just the new growth pushing the old leaves off. They‘ll drop and be replaced quite quickly.

Around here some trees and plants did die from the big freeze last February, but most of the trees survived. Flowers, fruits, and nuts were affected if the tree lost buds or flowers from the cold. (It may not have happened as much farther north because the trees might not have flowered as early as they would have down here.) A tree could have lost all its flowers but still greened up with leaves in the spring and summer. That’s what happened to our peach and loquat trees.

Wow that's interesting. I'll keep that close on hand. Thanks for that. And I suppose I should pay attention then to make sure about the back trees. See if they start blossoming anything this year

Just to add some confirmation here, front tree is in fact LIVE OAK. The two back trees(first pics) I have come to a rather non confident conclusion that they are GREEN ASH. The leaves check out. Bark looks similar. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm semi sure. That line up with what you guys are seeing?

Reactions: fvhowler