Kodiak Woodstove Improvements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rosemarie

Oct 27, 2022
PA
FBA695B9-3D7F-42CE-A714-E2F184A22016.jpeg

I have this working Kodiak stove in my living room, and want to spruce up/improve its surroundings. (The stove has a fireplace insert and the proper chimney liner.)
1. Those vents - are they necessary to the functionality of the stove? (If not, I have plans…)
2. I am not happy about how the surround looks in accommodating those vents - all 4 corners are notched differently. Any idea how much it would cost to have the left and right sides cut straight?
3. The legs - is there something that can be added to cover the stabilizing feet? (They look unfinished to me.)
4. This might be a stretch, but I would love to find doors with glass windows. Is this even a possibility?

I plan on keeping this old girl for awhile and want her to look her best. She works great and I love having her.

Replacing the old gal with a modern insert could solve all of these issues and provide more heat with a nice fire view. Otherwise, why not just trim back the surround a couple of inches? Yes, a cover could be made to wrap around the front to hide the feet.

Replacing the old gal with a modern insert could solve all of these issues and provide more heat with a nice fire view. Otherwise, why not just trim back the surround a couple of inches? Yes, a cover could be made to wrap around the front to hide the feet.
The matter is cost - if the visual/functional improvements are considerably less than a new stove, then I can live with what I have. A brand new stove would be swell, though.