L.P. wall mounted vented heater for a one stall insulated garage. Opinion request.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
I just removed a full home sized furnace from this space. It was waaay overkill and took up to much room. I'd like to install a wall mounted propane heater. I'd really like to get a vented model as LP pours the moisture into anyplace you use it without venting. Anybody have a model to recommend? Thanks

If your going vented (smart) why not just buy a Modine type heater? All sorts of sizes are available and one of the units I have is a Sterling that is listed for residential garage use.

Reactions: fbelec and moresnow
Make sure you check your local building code.. Now that you removed a heat source you will more than likely have to put one in that is rated for garage use..

Reactions: moresnow
If your going vented (smart) why not just buy a Modine type heater? All sorts of sizes are available and one of the units I have is a Sterling that is listed for residential garage use.
I may go that route. Just trying to save space. Including headroom.

Make sure you check your local building code.. Now that you removed a heat source you will more than likely have to put one in that is rated for garage use..

Yaaaaaaaa. Building code. I'll be checking right into that. Haaaa.
Kidding. I have zero intent to install something against code. I really need a garage rated heater that can withstand repeated cold weather starts. I don't leave the heat on all winter anymore except for a tiny electric ceramic heater that actually will keep it above freezing even when its brutal cold. Can't freeze the mini fridge contents:) Thanks for chipping in.

I've been researching the wall mounted units that do vent. More limited than I had thought on choice's. Hmmmm.

In a dead corner is not the ideal place but it's better than nothing. I bought a pair of high bay LP fired IR's for the rear section of the garage and need to get them hung, wired and plumbed when I have nothing to do.

I’m considering a vented wall heater for a cabin. We’re off grid so we need one that doesn’t take electricity, for when the snow covers the solar panels and we aren’t there to clean them off. This Ashley unit seems to fit the bill. It might work for you too.

make sure your mini heater is up off the floor.. In my area that is not to code using one of those... Its not so much the code but insurance will not cover us if it was on the floor due to the fact fumes stay low and could ignite... Around here and heat source like that has to be 24 inches off the floor and it would still be a fight with insurance..

Reactions: semipro
that ashley heater is going to work overtime you would need two of them to be decent heat in a one car garage. i thinking of a one bay uninsulated garage in cold weather.

Update. Buddy of mine stopped out last week. Casually discussing winter etc. He will be bringing over a un-vented Mr. Heater wall mount 30,000 btu unit for me to try out. Free. Brand new last fall. Guess I'll give it a shot! He says it was fine in his 2.5 stall steel shed except he had to run it wfo to keep up. Running it hard made it stink of LP. When run on low it supposedly did not. We shall see. Looking forward to getting it mounted up. I got my tank filled so we are ready. Buddy went to a OWB now for both the shop and house.

It might be ok in a garbage, but unvented propane heaters raise the humidity. Since garages typically aren’t very well sealed, it might be a still be good solution though.

Sooooo. I did not end up getting the used heater from my buddy as his brother-in-law grabbed it before I could! I did order a new 20,000 btu Dyna-Glo wall mount LP heater. Super easy install. I installed the optional fan kit also. So far, I have to say I am pleased with the performance.
There is some exhaust stink for the first half hour that slowly diminishes as the place warms up. The on-board fan kit is really of minimal assistance and seems to make the unit cycle too often. I set a small desktop 8" fan at the midpoint of the garage pointing away from the heater. Seems to circulate the heat very well. Any fan action blowing towards or near the heater makes it short cycle.
I will not be running the heater overnight as I have noticed after 5 or 6 hrs the moisture level in the garage is plenty high! I also have figured out that my 150-gallon tank should last through approximately 2025;lol Bonus.
Getting it figured out.