Lange 6303 or new Morso 2b

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbatista

Oct 28, 2015
Boston
I have come across a rebuilt Lange 6303 for my 1000 sq foot A frame cabin up in northern Vermont. Anyone have any experience on how these burn? We are also considering a brand new Morso 2b standard. Because of the hearth we have and cabin set up we are pretty set on north to south loader as that is all that will really fit. Any suggestions or info on these two stoves would be a great help. The place is decently insulated and has a propane furnace as well.

Jason

The 2B will burn cleaner, but the 6303 has more fuel capacity and will likely burn longer.

Is this a weekends-only cabin or is it full-time occupied? Is there any other heat in the cabin? Heat will pool at the peak of the A-frame making the loft area hot while the main floor is cool. A ceiling fan is a help in increasing circulation to break up this stratification of hot air.

The 2B will burn cleaner, but the 6303 has more fuel capacity and will likely burn longer.

Is this a weekends-only cabin or is it full-time occupied? Is there any other heat in the cabin? Heat will pool at the peak of the A-frame making the loft area hot while the main floor is cool. A ceiling fan is a help in increasing circulation to break up this stratification of hot air.

It is a weekend/vacation place. There is a direct vent propane furnace. There is no loft but an actual full second floor. The entire first floor has 7ft ceilings. Staircase in the middle of the cabin leads upstairs to two bedrooms that have 16ft ceilings. Each room has upstairs has a ceiling fan. I figure both stoves would do the job but the Lange would probably hold a fire overnight and the best I could hope for with the Morso would be hot coals in the morning.

I would lean toward the Lange then. It's a beautiful stove and if the rebuild was done properly then you have years of good heating to look forward to. Be sure to install properly, this stove has wide clearance requirements unless there is proper wall shielding. If this is an issue there are new stoves that have tighter clearances and some with longer burn times too.

Why the constraint to a N/S box style stove? There may be options if those constraints can be worked out.

I would lean toward the Lange then. It's a beautiful stove and if the rebuild was done properly then you have years of good heating to look forward to. Be sure to install properly, this stove has wide clearance requirements unless there is proper wall shielding. If this is an issue there are new stoves that have tighter clearances and some with longer burn times too.

Why the constraint to a N/S box style stove? There may be options if those constraints can be worked out.

Thanks for replies. Im also looking at an older Morso 1b that has been rebuilt as well. We really just like the look of the hearth is kind of shaped that way.