large coal build up means worse performance-or does it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
I've noticed that when the red coals start to build up pretty thickly, that the performance burning wise of the stove drops-the wood seems not to burn so readily when dampered down. Is this correct, or is it just my imagination? Do stoves do better when they're cleaned out?

A build-up of ashes can reduce heat output and cleaning them out helps. Coals need more air to burn down.

Pull the coals toward the door, throw a split on at a time and burn a little hotter...the coals will be down and manageable in the time it'll take to go threw 2 or 3 splits. That'll work unless your burning Locust.

The deeper the coals, the less wood you can put in, so the less heat. It does seem that when the coals get real thick, the stove will not get as hot.

Destructive Distillation is the process by which Charcoal is produced. Whether it is in a Wigwam still or a wood stove. Place wood in a closed system where it can be heated to the point of combustion then continue the cooking with the source of Oxygen cut off. Some people would consider a "Large" residue of charcoal a sucess.
Mike

I think it's different for each stove. I have no problems getting my napoleon stove top in the 600 range with 4 or 5 inch coal beds. I also like to throw pellets on top of them.

I don't recommend this since it's dangerous and you must be very careful. I like to take the hot coals out and throw them in water to put them out. I save them for summer and use it in my charcoal grill.

I guess your experience with coals depends on your stove. My stove is an old coal / Wood stove combination. Coals are my friend. I just close the air supply at the top over my firebox and open the bottom air supplys from under the grate. The coals now burn hotter than regular wood and boy do they make a hot bright flame. They last a while also. You just need to get the air fed from under them. I guess this is one big advantage of an old antique smoke dragon stove. I love it. I would never go to a modern one.

ScottF said:
I guess your experience with coals depends on your stove. My stove is an old coal / Wood stove combination. Coals are my friend. I just close the air supply at the top over my firebox and open the bottom air supplys from under the grate. The coals now burn hotter than regular wood and boy do they make a hot bright flame. They last a while also. You just need to get the air fed from under them. I guess this is one big advantage of an old antique smoke dragon stove. I love it. I would never go to a modern one.

The old R65 only feeds air from the bottom!

For the most part the more coals the better for me; however, it seems dependant on the wood too. If I get nice coals, they seem to pile such that they give themselves and any logs or splits on top a nice air flow and great heat (with the flue damper half or less). Other stuff [especially the punky crap I was playing with] seems to get ashes or "cold coals" that I need to push aside a bit for air to penetrate.

For me a good coal bed can = 17 hour burn times with stove top still above 300.
As coal helps keep the after burn going for an extended period of time with minimal usage of wood.
But, extensive ash build up can = poor performance due to it blocking air.

bokehman said:
LLigetfa said:
Coals need more air to burn down.
...To burn them down you need heat...
I obviously assumed the OP meant red hot glowing coals, not cold black charcoal.

Since the greatest coal formation is the result of not enough air, the answer is brain-dead simple. Throwing a split on top promotes more air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.