large flush wood hybrid-fyre xtrodinair insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joy7

Dec 29, 2022
Oakdale ny
the insert is 4 years old. A week after I had the insert cleaned I found a 2x3 1/4 piece of metal (i think tin) with a bolt hole in the top, on the floor of the insert. My dealer said they don't recognize the part. Since then I've heard banging like metal expanding and contracting . can anyone help?

I have to take mine apart again today. My cat is plugged up again. My bypass is also getting hard to push in. So, I have to drop the tubes and plate. I'll see what is behind there. But, to answer your question quickly, I can't think of what fell off on yours. Mine is 6 years old. I love it and hate it. I hear they now make it without a catalyst. I can't imagine why.......... I only have gone through 3 in 6 years and have to take the damn thing out every 2-3 months to clean it. I burn 24/7 and now have a steelcat. Ceramic cats do not last in my insert. They definitely get licked by flames from draft. I made a deflector, with the help of a member here.

Reactions: joy7
I spent a couple hours cleaning the cat and the cat temps now reach 1200+ again. When I engage the cat, it no longer looks like I choked the fire out. I just hate the fact that this cat needs so much damn maintenance. Beautiful instert, but high maint.