Large Spiders making a home in my wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MongoMongoson

Feb 6, 2021
Wisconsin
Around here they sell hedge balls (Osage oranges) to keep the spiders away. People put them in their basements, that kind of thing. I have never tried it. I think that old tale is right up there with burning beer cans to fight creosote.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
The hedge apples work ok. The bad thing about them is it's easy to forget them if you put them in a crawlspace or other area that a person doesn't venture into regularly. When they rot they lose their effectiveness and actually draw in unwanted bugs.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
Or these
20190820_202311.jpg

Reactions: MrCool1

MrCool1

Oct 6, 2021
OR

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
We don't kill spiders they eat too many other insects
like flys and mosquitoes

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
I tried searching the forum for this since I would assume this is a common issue but no such luck. I have two wood storage areas on my property. The first is a wood shed that holds about 2 cords. I keep some semi seasoned wood in there that I use to restock my seasoned wood rack that I keep closer to my house during the winter. Every year I get these massive black spiders that just take over the entire wood pile. They cover the pile in this thick webbing. Even in the coldest temps mid winter they scatter all over the wood as I start to pull from this reserve pile. Do you have any tricks tips from keeping these pests out? I was thinking about spraying ortho home defense around the outside the wood shed but I don't want to spray the wood pile directly for obvious reasons. I know bugs are expected but this is a bit excessive lol.
I got a nasty bite reaching into my wood bucket to reload. Very painful. First time in 40 years of burning. I think some sort of repellent on top row might help

CatfishHunter

Dec 8, 2020
Minnesota
We get wolf spiders at our cabin in northern MN. They are usually either in the woodshed or the old outhouse. The ladies complained a lot about the wolf spiders and garter snakes that would find their way into the outhouse, so I built them a mostly bug-proof version. They can still get in when you open the door!

Wolf spiders are quick. I've never been bitten by one yet, but at least they aren't poisonous. In fact, we really don't have anything poisonous in Minnesota except a few poisonous rattlesnakes in the far SW corner of the state.

5eab4cbac1b00.image.jpg

9i6Jm4qbpGXyfvkeJpQYdB.jpg

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Cool looking spiders!

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I would wrap the woodshed with plastic and release a bug bomb in there. Cover the tops of the piles with plastic.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Just let them eat musquitos. Or they'll eat you

Sawset

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
Did you know that you can shine for spiders? Their eyes glow back from the light. My son pointed that out, so I had to try. Point the light
in line with your own eyes, and sure enough the critters shown back. Two spots, 100ft away, in the grass, I'll be darned there it is.

iu

Reactions: StudlyHogly

MEngineer24

Dec 6, 2020
WV
Those spiders are just extra BTUs!

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I always spray insecticide around my wood stacks to keep the bugs at bay. Don't like spiders.

bigdaddy100

Aug 9, 2020
pa
Sorry, no solution to getting rid of them. Spiders, specifically wolf spiders are the reasons I always wear gloves when handling wood. I've never been bitten by one, but they just scare the crap out of me when they seem to appear from nowhere and look me in the eye. I try not to kill them though--just try to compose myself and pretend like I didn't just squeal like a little kid.
time to get out the bug spray