Large Stove Comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good catch on the cat / non-cat slip, guys. But it does not change the point. His stove shop reports they cannot load the stove full without overheating the joint. A monster stove is not practical for most installations, if it can't be dialed back to a reasonable level. 12 hours is a mighty fast "slow burn" for a 4.0 cubic foot box. It seems to limit the practicality of these stoves to spaces with very high heat demand, whereas the King can work quite nicely in the average home.
Who said they can only burn 12 hours? We have installed a few and the customers report 24 hour burns And from what I have seen they can be shut back pretty hard. Not as well as a king no but still pretty impressive from such a big stove.

That is what I like to see highbeam, I'm more impressed with what a stove can do when it gets real cold. the long burn times are probably great in mild conditions but when it gets cold that is still a nice burn time between loads. Everyone's heat setups and heating needs are different as stated earlier. You just need to find what works for you. In my opinion 12 hour burn times are pretty good for any stove, there are probably not to many times when you will go that long without being there to add here or there. The whole reason we have stoves is to keep the temps up and stay warm on those cold days.

Reactions: Highbeam
But as long as you haven't forgotten how to light your stove, which I know some of you cat guys may have:p, you can just let the stove go out, and then relight it. I mean in the shoulder season I don't cook myself out because I can't turn my stove down low enough. I just heat as I always do with my temps being very cyclical, like I'm ok with, and heat my house up and then let the fire go out.
I remember how to light my stove. I just did it last October!

Who said they can only burn 12 hours? We have installed a few and the customers report 24 hour burns And from what I have seen they can be shut back pretty hard. Not as well as a king no but still pretty impressive from such a big stove.
Not looking to argue with your experience, just quoting what I saw heavy hammer (a Sequoia owner) post. Also, Kuma Stoves lists burn time at only 14 hours.

https://www.kumastoves.com/store/productdetails/sequoia

That is how the sequoia is it doesn't have that tstat like the blaze King. The burn times on the sequoia are 12 hours.

Heavy Hammer, a Sequoia owner, did. Also, Kuma Stoves lists max burn time at only 14 hours.
Yes but that isn't a Regency 5100 that is a Kuma. They are two totally different stoves

I thought the sequoia was 12 if the manual says 14 then I guess that is what it is. I was just getting at is the sequoia won't give you 24 hour burn times like the blaze King. But I believe the sequoia could easily compete for the amount of heat it gives off that's all.