Largest firebox I insert around 1500$?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Well as some of you have been a huge help to me and I appreciate it! The wife wants to update our wood stove which was here when we bought our home. I'm trying to find the largest firebox available at a price of around 1500$ the existing stove will be moved to the garage to supply my winter project heating! Thanks again everyone! Forgot to add, what is the criteria for useing a free standing stove on my hearth instead of an insert? I figure if I can meet those that it will broaden my choices. Also debating on re lining the chimney with stainless , curious since it is currently a direct connect how much of a pain is it to get the liner down through where my rectangular opening is above my current insert? Thanks

Last edited:
The criteria is you just need to meet clearance so if your hearth doesn't stick out far enough you'll have to extend it, with what and what clearances will depend on what stove you buy. I think you can get more bang for the buck and more heat with a free stander providing there's not a big cost to extend your hearth. You will have to put a liner in no matter which way you go.
Installing the liner is sometimes easy and sometimes a little harder but not a big deal, I had to cut to make some room but nothing a sawzall couldn't do. You're looking at about $500 for a liner.
Do you have a pic of your set up? It will make it easier to help with pics.

IMO an insert is always better to have than a hearthmount freestanding stove but that is just, my opinion. In general a freestanding stove that is rear vented and short enough to work in a hearthmount situation won't have as large of a firebox as an insert that will fit in the same cavity. I used to work for a store that sold Century wood stoves and inserts and they were a great bang for the buck unit that was of pretty decent quality. A lot of people on here seem to like Englander stoves and their price tags are very attractive but I can't comment on how well they work personally as I've never touched one.

You could get away with buying this one including the liner kit for under $1500 and it includes a blower. It holds a 20" log which is pretty sweet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577754_200577754

IMO an insert is always better to have than a hearthmount freestanding stove but that is just, my opinion. In general a freestanding stove that is rear vented and short enough to work in a hearthmount situation won't have as large of a firebox as an insert that will fit in the same cavity. I used to work for a store that sold Century wood stoves and inserts and they were a great bang for the buck unit that was of pretty decent quality. A lot of people on here seem to like Englander stoves and their price tags are very attractive but I can't comment on how well they work personally as I've never touched one.
You make a good point, I didn't think of two things, the rear vent and the money he wants to spend. I was thinking of putting the stove in front not in the FP but that would be limited to rear vents.

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Agreed weatherguy. Firebox dimensions are needed to be sure. I've seen fireplaces you could stuff a VC Encore into and vent straight up and I've also seen em so small a Jotul Nordic QT would barely work in front of as a hearthmount.

I would keep the country comfort going for now, your in the wrong season to be buying a stove and getting a deal. Wait till spring you will see many more end of year deals on new stoves.

You need to measure your fireplace, as the largest insert would be the Buck Model 91, but it won't fit in just any fireplace, you can sometimes find them used in the $1500 range OFF SEASON.

I would then sell the Country Comfort to buy a new insulated liner.

Give us a picture and full dimensions for the fireplace and let us know the size of the area being heated. As noted, this is not the best time of year for bargains.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Not sure on my proper measurements so bare with me. 22" deep 32" a at back wall 38-39" wide at opening and 30" tall. Someone said stainless liner required? I currently have a clay liner all the way up here is how the stove is attached feeding into the liner size of house is 1700 sq ft open a- frame so I would like to throw as much heat as possible . There are no dividing walls in the house except the bedrooms

A Buck Model 91 would fit in that fireplace. It would require an 8" stainless steel liner to the top of the chimney. Since that looks to be an exterior chimney you would want to use an Insulated 8" liner which is going to set you back close to $1000 depending on how high your chimney is.

A Buck Model 91 would fit in that fireplace. It would require an 8" stainless steel liner to the top of the chimney. Since that looks to be an exterior chimney you would want to use an Insulated 8" liner which is going to set you back close to $1000 depending on how high your chimney is.
Basically measure exterior height and I can buy a roll of that stainless liner? Does anything need to go between the stainless liner and the clay flue? Also what is preventing from useing the existing direct connect method? Also how easy ,once the rectangular opening is cut out to run that 8" all the way up? Sorry for all new person questions . This is adding up in cost

Chimney has two flues but main stove dimension is 12.5x13 I believe but is it easier to feed bottom up? Or down lol and does anything go between the ss liner and the clay flue

Any other stoves to consider under 1500 $? How does this idea sound. Adding a stainless liner all the way up to my existing country comfort then in a year or two swap in a newer larger stove? Also I have not had a chance to view the video, but it seems I just cut a circle and where the rectangular opening is and drop my flexible liner down from top of the chimney? Thanks again

Last edited:
Watched the video great tutorial! One question is with the top plate my two chimneys are currently capped but both are to exposed clay tile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.