Last Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Here it is the end of April, and on Long Island, NY (within a month or so of the official beginning of the Summer beach-season ), I am lighting a fire to take the chill off. Well, actually, I filled the stove and threw an extra split in after awhile. I will probably throw another in for good measure.

It is a nice way of celebrating the end (possibly) of the cold/cool season and welcoming the Summer season. We don't seem to get Spring weather much anymore. It feels like it goes from cold to hot in no time in recent years.

Anyway, it's all good when you find ways to enjoy it.

Here it is the end of April, and on Long Island, NY (within a month or so of the official beginning of the Summer beach-season ), I am lighting a fire to take the chill off. Well, actually, I filled the stove and threw an extra split in after awhile. I will probably throw another in for good measure.

It is a nice way of celebrating the end (possibly) of the cold/cool season and welcoming the Summer season. We don't seem to get Spring weather much anymore. It feels like it goes from cold to hot in no time in recent years.

I’m only several miles north of Long Island and I know what you mean about Spring. I hope we can get some nice dry sunny weather soon. If not it will be nearly a year of wet weather. Hopefully not another summer of dew points in the mid 70s as a general rule.

Had one yesterday morning, but that could be the last.

Just lit a fire a couple hours ago. 36 degrees currently here in upstate NY. Should be our last if the forecast stays the same.[emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Metrowest Boston here. Posted a few weeks ago that I had my last fire on April 11.

It was cold and rainy enough that I had two fires this past weekend.

Anyone want a cold snap? All I have to do is wash my wool sweaters to put them away for the summer. :)

We had snow over the weekend and 14F yesterday morning so I'm back in action. Ready for summer for sure though.

On Long Island as well. Had that damp chilly day last week (forget which). The space heater wasn’t cutting it, and we didn’t want to use the oil heat. Fired up the insert with some fine splits.

Oh yeah.... took a nap for some reason

Night before went through 4 splits to take the chill off. Was 34 the next morning. Think this will be the last till October.

I have one going tonight to keep the boiler from turning on and keep the little guy warm in his bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the stove. Hopefully it'll be the last one. I thought 2 weeks ago would've been my last one.

We might stop burning for two months, just long enough to perform some maintenance.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Last fire for me was in March. I’m in NC though ==c

I fired off my usually retired Defiant last evening. My boiler has been down for a couple of months and have been running on my minisplit but there has been a unusual stretch of cold wet weather so I fired it off. The minisplit is nice but definitely like the heat from the stove better as its in my basement and heat up the floors while the minisplit tends to stratify.

Heck by this time of year I usually have more than enough hot water from my solar hot water heater and I had to run the standby electric coil the other day to take a shower. I really am looking forward to the seasonal averages.

Last edited:
Fire last night. Probably tonight and tomorrow looking at the 10-day forecast. Then, that may be it.

Tree guy was going to take down a couple of trees for me. He called and said he is on the street right behind my house taking down trees and asked if I wanted a load of wood he'll cut to 14" - 16" for $100. Really nice oak. Just stopped by and paid him. He'll dump it just off my driveway later and I'll show him the trees I want down whenever he has a couple of free days. No rush.

New F-350 work truck, too. Nice truck.

Got the wood and started splitting with a maul. Nice wood. Lots of it as an F-350 dump load for $100.

His truck is his old work truck, not a new truck. F-350. All rust repaired and painted. New business sign, and memorial signs for his late business partner on both sides. All the work was $2,200. It's a 1996 diesel with a stick and only 140,000 miles. Since it was the truck he and his late business partner that he knew since high school used, it has a lot of sentimental value for him. Died at 54 of colon cancer. Way too young.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/m...y.aspx?n=mark-r-wice&pid=187257511&fhid=15457

Pictures of Mark up in trees on their web site: http://www.huntertreeremoval.com/.

Had to start a fire yesterday and will have another today. Where is summer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3" of snow forecast near my house tomorrow night. Glad I didn't plant any tomatoes early ;)

Last edited:
Could be seeing some snow tomorrow. I keep meaning to stop burning but nature likes to keep the A/C running.

My tomatoes are in but haven't grown much in the last week.
They're developing roots and getting ready to put on growth when it gets warmer.

Now it's the middle of May on Long Island, and it was 40 last night. They probably had icicles at Dix's house.

Burn on!

41 and rain yesterday. fired up the stove again. looks like the next few days I might be doing the same to keep the chill out.