Latch Broken & No idea how to fix Bronpi Bristol Inset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kinger251285

Jan 13, 2023
UK
Hi

I have a Bronpi Bristol Inset log burner.

The door latch was sticking recently and the other night came off completely.

However i have no idea how to re-attach it correctly.

The pillar on the door that pivots is completely smooth and round and solid (no holes whatsoever).

The latch itself has a hole where it slides over the pillar on the door but there is space at the end where the pillar does not go flush with the latch (if that makes sense), The latch itself has 2 holes either side (matching) as though a pin could go through and then through the pillar (pillar has no holes and is solid though).

Attached images of the latch and pillar.

My thoughts are to either get it welded back on. Or drill a hole through the door pillar to match the holes on the latch and fit a retaining spring clip.

Any suggestions on how it was originally fitted or best way to fit?

DoorLatch.jpg DoorPillar.jpg PivotLatch1.jpg PivotLatch2.jpg PivotLatch3.jpg PivotLatch4.jpg

I would contact the UK dealer:
The Marble Warehouse Ltd
Maritime Ind Est
Maesycoed, Pontypridd, CF37 1NY
Tel: 01443 408548
Email: [email protected]

See if they know how the latch is attached. They may have a replacement part.

I would contact the UK dealer:
The Marble Warehouse Ltd
Maritime Ind Est
Maesycoed, Pontypridd, CF37 1NY
Tel: 01443 408548
Email: [email protected]

See if they know how the latch is attached. They may have a replacement part.
Hi Armanidog

Thanks for that, I've contacted Marble Warehouse but haven't had a response back yet.

Are the small holes threaded? Maybe there was a small Allen head screw in there to tighten on the shaft.

Are the small holes threaded? Maybe there was a small Allen head screw in there to tighten on the shaft.
Maybe a roll pin.

I don’t see any fractured metal. Does the latch fit on the stub left on the door?

Reactions: Newbie78
Looks to me like a roll pin fell out. Is there a corresponding hole in the door side? If so I'd run down to NAPA and get a roll pin. Looks like a machine screw and nut would work in a pinch as well. I've even used nails as roll pins in non heavy duty applications.

Reactions: Newbie78
Maybe a roll pin.

I don’t see any fractured metal. Does the latch fit on the stub left on the door?

Im not sure if something has come off the end of the stub, possibly looks like something may have been attached. The first image shows the latch fitting over the stub and is easily pivoting with nothing securing it to the stub. The stub does not go all the way to the end of the latch, its recessed if that makes sense (i could fit something else in the hole at the end)

Looks to me like a roll pin fell out. Is there a corresponding hole in the door side? If so I'd run down to NAPA and get a roll pin. Looks like a machine screw and nut would work in a pinch as well. I've even used nails as roll pins in non heavy duty applications.

Where would the rollpin sit? Over the stub and then force the latch on?

There are NO holes at all in the stub on the door. Yet there are holes as if they should line up (to holes in the stub) on the latch. One option i could do is drill the stub to create holes that match the latch and as you said fit a rollpin but ideally looking for the original way this was connected.

I wonder if the end of the "door pillar" broke off. The end of the pillar looks rough. Perhaps there was some kind of fitting that came off.
Anyway I would drill a hole in the pillar if it would allow you to use what is present to securely latch the door.
Do you have a manual or can find a manual online that would show the latch details?

Where would the rollpin sit? Over the stub and then force the latch on?

There are NO holes at all in the stub on the door. Yet there are holes as if they should line up (to holes in the stub) on the latch. One option i could do is drill the stub to create holes that match the latch and as you said fit a rollpin but ideally looking for the original way this was connected.
I have a feeling the end of the stub broke off. If you haven't cleaned your ashes since it happened you can probably sift through there or use a magnet to find it. I don't think drilling will work. Likely put the cam to far back and it wouldn't close.