Leaf ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Found parts of this tree at the tree dump, can anyone give a positive ID from the leaves? image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 99
really hard to tell from that curled up leaf, Jack. Kinda looks like elm......
how about a pic of the bark or a split or something.....I'm better when I see those...

Aspen, Big-tooth.

I will find a nice piece to photo tomorrow, it's already too dark here. No splits, all smaller trimmings.

I vote cottonwood also.I have a big leaning one on my road I'll have to cut up when it falls. :mad: Keep looking at the leaves hoping it will turn into something else

I could believe cottonwood or aspen, and not much else. They are both well placed in the dump and not really worth dragging out.

Hard to tell
Best, it's elm
Most likely in the lower BTU class poplars.
just guesses though

IMG_20130723_164032.jpg

IMG_20130723_164045.jpg

Not positive which branch it came from, one of these two. When I was cutting them they both seemed very similar, like maybe the same but in different stages of drying.

But that flat bottom on the leaf sure does look like cottonwood.

Ugh, I give up. c/s/s and then it's called BTU's. :)

It's already c/s, just needs to season.

Reactions: osagebow
I stand corrected!

The wood splits are Aspen, the leaf was cottonwood. I have Cottonwood and Quaking Aspen and bigtoothed aspen all sharing ground within 20' of each other around my horse pasture. Several got cut last year and the year before and some more are marked to get cut for next.
I dont mind processing the wood and having light wood on hand. It surprises me though that most conifers have higher BTU ratings. But I have white pine and Hemlock and they are in heavy wooded areas. They dont encroach on open fields.
You probably found both woods.

Im gonna start going to the dump too. I have a friend who owns a tree service business and he dumps everything at a dump.

I highly recommend it. Where are you from?

New York
Im just below the Adirondacks in the upper Hudson valley area. Zone 5.
Not that great for grapes but perfect for apples and poplar. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.