Leaky Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
Hi all,

I have a 19 year old Woodstock Fireview stove that I absolutely love. However, Ive ceased burning this year because it's developed some strong leaks where smoke pours out of some of the seams. I have a strong draft in my chimney, but still get smoke leaking into the air. Ive just repainted my ceilings because of it! So, what do I do to resolve the issue? Should the stove be taken apart and new gasket material fitted? Or perhaps I can use some sort of paste inside on the seams? Is this normal for a stove of this age or could this be a sign of a larger problem?

It could be that the stove needs a rebuild with new gasketing throughout. With guidance, this is not as daunting as it sounds. A call into Woodstock's tech support would be a good first step. This thread will offer some clues to the process.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hi all,

I have a 19 year old Woodstock Fireview stove that I absolutely love. However, Ive ceased burning this year because it's developed some strong leaks where smoke pours out of some of the seams. I have a strong draft in my chimney, but still get smoke leaking into the air. Ive just repainted my ceilings because of it! So, what do I do to resolve the issue? Should the stove be taken apart and new gasket material fitted? Or perhaps I can use some sort of paste inside on the seams? Is this normal for a stove of this age or could this be a sign of a larger problem?
Like begreen said it is very possible it needs rebuilt. But if smoke is leaking out of the stove the draft is not as strong as you think. Air should be sucked in any leaks that are there if the draft is right.

One thing we’ve learned in the past few years with the introduction of ever more efficient stoves is that acceptable draft strength at high burn in the flue does not mean that all parts of the firebox are under negative pressure. Turbulence, eddies, like an airplane wing there can be little pockets of positive pressure despite a negative pressure on average.

If I recall correctly, Backwoods Savage had a Fireview on a short chimney and said the stove operated well in shoulder season, but he was known to stretch the truth occasionally too. I was thinking the smoke smell might be a gasket leak, but for sure the flue system should be checked for blockage, including the cap.

If I recall correctly, Backwoods Savage had a Fireview on a short chimney and said the stove operated well in shoulder season, but he was known to stretch the truth occasionally too. I was thinking the smoke smell might be a gasket leak, but for sure the flue system should be checked for blockage, including the cap.

There really aren’t that many members, or people really, with fireviews and many things can create a smoke smell or leak. More important is that some people are ultra sensitive to smells and some surprisingly tolerant. So rather than think this is a fireview specific issue, it’s probably best to just consider this a high efficiency stove in the shoulder season issue.

The OP has visible smoke pouring out! That’s a pretty bad failure of what is supposed to be a relatively air tight firebox plus a simultaneous lack of draft.

At this end of season point, the flue system need a thorough cleaning from cap to stove. If the build up high high then that is likely the major factor. If not, the time to inspect the stove in greater detail starting either the cat for obstruction.

If I recall correctly, Backwoods Savage had a Fireview on a short chimney and said the stove operated well in shoulder season, but he was known to stretch the truth occasionally too.
Well that's nice, make comments like that about somebody that is no longer here to defend themselves...I know Dennis personally and find him to be a very truthful and honest person...bluntly honest sometimes.
I'll see him tomorrow, I can say hi for you...

Last edited:
Yeah you're right, Dennis is a storyteller, but I hope he is doing well.

If I recall correctly, Backwoods Savage had a Fireview on a short chimney and said the stove operated well in shoulder season,
Yep, both the Fireview and Keystone breathe very easily. I sold my Fireview to my BIL, and at about 13.5 ft. his chimney still worked when it was close to 50* outside. I recall that he backpuffed it once when it was warm out, but I'm pretty sure I could have avoided that.