Leather Work gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just in my experience, the dipped gloves (unless insulated) are not for cold weather at all. I think they made my hands colder.

White Ox Rigging Gloves. I bought a dozen pair about a year or so ago. Still on my first pair; usually it's 1/mo or maybe 2 months max.

Amazon product ASIN B004MLSHSA
419ty4iG3LL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: Sawset
My thought on this is that I simply like the idea of supporting the people in my own little corner of the world first. There are lots of issues with that sentiment, I suppose, but that's how I like to do things when I can.
Yeah me too. Too bad corporate America sold this country out years ago. They didn't have to go to China but they are more interested in the bottom line over loyalty to the good ole USA. And for tariffs, LOL....LOL...LOL. China doesn't say ok I'll pay the extra out of my pocket, they pass it on to American corporations. And the American corporations pass it right on to the consumers. Just another tax on the average Joe to make up for the HUGE gift of a tax break to corporate America. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The current president has bent us over. Think about all those still supporting Trump who will publicly claim to be heterosexual, calmly bend over and don't even get a reach around. I am not afraid to admit we have been played as suckers, but twice I will not abide.

Not sure you have an Airgas supply but the Tillman leather gloves hold up really well working with the wood.

Attachments

• tillman.jpg
    tillman.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 122
A couple weeks ago I went out cutting with a pair of dipped nitrile, with a kevlar fabric. 35deg, damp and drizzle, wet damp wood, my hands got very cold in a short amount of time, even near a warm saw. That experiment didn't work. There must be insulated varieties that would solve that issue.
Are those cut resistant? I use Atlas Showa 451 for cold and dry and 420 for cold and wet.

I had the same problem with leather gloves. I bought these from Northern Tool: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200732137_200732137

For less than a buck a pair, I get an amazing amount of wear from the gloves. Great grip, and I can still wipe sweat with the cloth side. When I pay a buck, I don't expect much, so I can only be pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: jmb6420
Someone on Garage Journal posted a link to some Elkskin gloves on clearance on Amazon--they are pretty great. The don't get stiff like cowhide, and seem to be holding up really well. Previously I have relied on the cheap three packs from Costco, but they have really slipped in quality over the last decade.

Only problem--they are too pricey for me at regular price of $35 instead of the $13.99 clearance price:
Elkskin gloves

USA made, too.

+1 for the atlas gloves the 451 are great very inexpensive and last forever!
I have been wearing mine all winter. Got a pair of 460 for working in the really bad stuff. Will probably get a couple more pair for backup. Atlas has some fantastic gloves.

Finally broke down and got another pack of 16010s. The other cheapos are not holding up. Down to my last "1/2 pair".

Attachments

• 1122201633.jpg
    1122201633.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 130
If I could find a left handed woodburner like me, a right handed woodburner, I could swap all my unmatched left handed gloves to him/her for their unmatched right handed gloves. Someone should start a website matchyourwornglove.com or something. I probably have 12-15 left handed leather gloves out in the garage.

Reactions: paredown
If I could find a left handed woodburner like me, a right handed woodburner, I could swap all my unmatched left handed gloves to him/her for their unmatched right handed gloves. Someone should start a website matchyourwornglove.com or something. I probably have 12-15 left handed leather gloves out in the garage.
I kept my left gloves for years until I moved last. I bet I threw away 3 dozen of them.

Lefty here. In Ohio. ;lol

I have one stove with a left opening door and one with a right opening door. So one pair has each covered. Maybe you need another stove?;)