Left home feeling like a badass...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I own a splitter, but when I get into rounds +30" I always try to quarter them up using the sledge & wedges, it works best for me and I haven't ran into a round that could not be split. FYI its sometimes easier to cheat with the chainsaw, I like to start purchase points in the log with the saw, go about 2" deep then slide in the wedge.

I don’t know if it’s me or this split. I just precut a 1” deep groove to seat the wedge. I can’t even get the wedge to the bottom of the groove. I can’t even get it to feel tight.

The wood feels made of concrete. It’s not budging at all to let the wedge in. I know I can saw it half through and then wedge it, but I feel I’m missing something technical here.
Sometimes if the grain is twisted (yard tree) i'll just flip the piece over and redo the wedge technique.