Let it snow...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Finally getting some snow, after a bizarre 60dF February day, yesterday. Normal lows here are 20dF, and normal highs around 35dF.

Now we get to play with the snow removal gear. Let's see your hardware!

Here's mine:

snowblowers.jpg

Calling for 10-18". LI is on the southern edge of this storm. So yeah, wide range depending on the exact track. Don't normally take pics of my equipment but here's a shot of my circa 1990 2-stage. Has Tecumseh snow king and true gear box that will grind through just about anything. Actually expect to use my 2 stroke single stage on this snow though.

JAN12-9.JPG

Reactions: Jerhurt
Here is a pic of my newly restored Hahn Snow Giant snow blower.
Thing is built like a tank, no plastic anywhere.
Hahn made snow blowers around the early 70's.
I bought it about 10 years ago on E bay for $25.00.:)
About a year ago it needed the axle bearings replaced, figured while it was apart
might as well replace the impeller bearings, then auger bearings, then it became a total restoration.
Made a few mods, added the tire chains, rubber impeller wipers, and a larger engine pulley for a bit more speed.

Looked like this when I bought it in 07.
IMG_1496.JPGIMG_20170121_154800302 (Medium) (2).jpgIMG_20170121_154222602 (Medium).jpg

IMG_3917.JPG

Just kiddin'. I just have a 48" plow on my quad for now. That was enough snow for me for the year, I'm working on the NE Extension and we are done for the week. I'd rather it rain and be done with it but no arguing with Mother Nature I guess

Last edited:
They say we got about 13" but that was tough snow to clear. Base was wet and compacted as soon as you did anything with it. End of my driveway was thick with water saturated heavy plow spoil. Ah well it's done. Now let's just hope the weather co-operates and it clears off the roofs so we don't get ice dams.

There we go! I was hoping to see something interesting, here.

Took me maybe 15 minutes, here. Didn't even bother hooking up the snowblower, just did it with the front-end loader. We got 6", but it was followed by very high winds that had the driveway blown down to maybe 2" before I got home. Heavy wet stuff on the bottom, since it started as rain, but still an easy clean-up.

Here are some pics of my toys!
We will start with the plows.
Feb%20snow%20-%206_zpshf6ntacb.jpg

Next we have the snow blowers!

DSCN0690640x480.jpg

They say we got about 13" but that was tough snow to clear. Base was wet and compacted as soon as you did anything with it. End of my driveway was thick with water saturated heavy plow spoil. Ah well it's done. Now let's just hope the weather co-operates and it clears off the roofs so we don't get ice dams.
That was certainly some tough stuff to clear.

20170211_110058.jpg

Here's mine. 16 250 with 9 foot boss vplpw. 2yd boss sander, and my little ariens snowblower I use for oil fills etc. I've got a wheelchair transporter in the 2inch receiver that pops in and out when I need the snowblower. Spinner assembly is removable on the sander which is awesome.
I'm in bowdoinham maine and we are looking at 2 feet tonight. Probably got about 3 feet this whole week I've been plowing non stop haha

Hello God? It's me Jake. I know I have been praying for snow since December so we could ride our snowmobiles locally here in central Maine.

Thanks for answering my prayer . . . but you can stop now . . . really. I'm all set. I mean the first storm was fantastic -- it was just enough to make the riding OK.

Then you surprised me with the second storm and instead of the 1-3 inches all the weather guessers were predicting you sent 5-6 inches which made the riding even better. Than you opted to just send some flurries yesterday to freshen things up.

But you can stop now . . . I mean 18-24 inches may be just a little too much of a good thing God.

I mean, seriously . . . I'm starting to feel like Noah . . . only with snow. If this keeps up I may have to start loading up the animals two by two and taking them south to Florida.

Hello God? It's me Jake. I know I have been praying for snow since December so we could ride our snowmobiles locally here in central Maine.

Thanks for answering my prayer . . . but you can stop now . . . really. I'm all set. I mean the first storm was fantastic -- it was just enough to make the riding OK.

Then you surprised me with the second storm and instead of the 1-3 inches all the weather guessers were predicting you sent 5-6 inches which made the riding even better. Than you opted to just send some flurries yesterday to freshen things up.

But you can stop now . . . I mean 18-24 inches may be just a little too much of a good thing God.

I mean, seriously . . . I'm starting to feel like Noah . . . only with snow. If this keeps up I may have to start loading up the animals two by two and taking them south to Florida.
Funny stuff. I was in the same position, but I wanted to try out my new snow plow. However in South Central PA all we have gotten so far are 2 light dustings. Oh well maybe next year.

More snow on the way on Wednesday . . . (weakly) hip hip hooree!

Was standing on snow piles even with the porch roof . . . which made it convenient to use the roof rake to pull off the snow. Plowed twice today . . . and it's still lightly snowing. Combing bank in front of my driveway was literally 4 feet high thanks to the snowplow and drifting. Yeah . . . this is just too much of a good thing.

Well, you could send some of it down this way, Jake. We've been above average all year, with lots of rain. 25 - 40F for the next few days, which is only slightly above average, but back up near 60F this weekend! Should be below 20F at night, 35'ish during the day, around here.

We had 2 ft on the coast the other day (don't even know what day it is any more, except that I know i forgot about valentine's day) plus 4-6 foot drifts. 8-12 coming in tonight. Taking a break from doing roofs I'm too friggin tired.

We haven't even had a good 2 in snow this year...lol way behind on snow fall and its looking like it will stay that way.

Kavu, what model is that? I'm looking to buy one too. How do you like it?
its the ariens 24 compact. i would get the 28 deluxe with the auto turn for a few more bucks. i like the ariens, wish i got the auto turn bc i have a big driveway. its a good snow blower though. i have had mine for approx 2 years.

Reactions: gregbesia
Love the O'le Binder montanalocal. A classic machine. Like a tank.

Waiting for it to start something so I can finish it. I also have a Troy-built 3-stage 30 incher.

blower2.jpg
plow.jpg

Last edited: