Let's hear about your log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one here who has a Swisher? Without checking, I think I bought it 8-10 years ago. I think it was $995.
28 ton - 7 hp Briggs engine. Split a whole lot of wood with it. No problems whatsoever. Starts 2nd-3rd pull. Sometimes 1st. Splits every thing I throw at it. Horizontal/vertical option. Got it at a Fleet Farm store. I think Menards also had them for awhile.

Don't see them anymore at the stores. Asked a manager why no Swishers and he said the $$ numbers don't work out for them. There's a reason why John Menard is the richest man in Wisconsin.

Also have a 29" - 14.5 Torque Swisher snow blower. Also a no-problem machine.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Fiskars. Just lethal.
I have a Fiskars collection of each size from the X-27 down to the hatchet. I also use a couple of vintage crosscut logging saws. Avoiding using any power tools if at all possible. Tough jobs get a Estwing wedge and an Estwing steel hammer. For kindling I use a Pallet Buster deluxe and a beautiful vintage crosscut wood saw.
For power tools I do have a Makita 36V(2x18V) chainsaw, Makita Sawzall, Makita skillsaw. I try to use this stuff as little as possible. However I can easily toss all this stuff in my truck and still come home with good size freebie loads to reach my other goal of paying zero on wood each season. My wood scrounging goes on year round. A little at a time and I have enough.

I also use a couple of vintage crosscut logging saws.
I would love to get my hands on a few of those. They are so hard to come by around here.

Pretty easy to find around here. I have two, one single-handed with a 50" cut, and a larger (70"?) two-man'r. I've passed on the opportunity to bring several others home. You just need to hit a few old farm / estate sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.