Liberty Bricks in No. VA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Village Idiot

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2011
No. Va.
After reading a bunch of threads on compressed wood bricks/blocks, I have decided I like the idea of having some to supplement my wood supply as well as just having some for "just in case" times. My original plan was to get some from Tractor Supply, but then I discovered Liberty Bricks on this site. At $170 a ton it is a pretty good price.

The weekend after next, I am going to go pickup a pallet of Liberty Bricks down in Doswell, VA. I have room for one more pallet in my truck. If anyone is interested in helping cover fuel costs, I will pick up a pallet of Liberty Bricks and bring them to your house in Fairfax County. If you aren't too far off of 95 on my way north from Doswell I can accommodate that too.

So, send me a PM if you are interested.

Reactions: Hasufel
After reading a bunch of threads on compressed wood bricks/blocks, I have decided I like the idea of having some to supplement my wood supply as well as just having some for "just in case" times. My original plan was to get some from Tractor Supply, but then I discovered Liberty Bricks on this site. At $170 a ton it is a pretty good price.

The weekend after next, I am going to go pickup a pallet of Liberty Bricks down in Doswell, VA. I have room for one more pallet in my truck. If anyone is interested in helping cover fuel costs, I will pick up a pallet of Liberty Bricks and bring them to your house in Fairfax County. If you aren't too far off of 95 on my way north from Doswell I can accommodate that too.

So, send me a PM if you are interested.
I'm pretty much set for now but appreciate the offer. Please let us know how those work out for you!

I will definitely report back. I figured I would make the offer since I have the room for another pallet and it seems to be a shame to come back with a half-empty truck.

PM sent.

Hope you have a 3/4 ton+ truck, 2 1 ton pallets in my F250 with air bags, I knew they were there for sure, can't imagine going down 95 that way. Strap them down good! I would also bring some extra stretch wrap and some good thick ratchet straps.

I'm good. My F350 and 2" ratchet straps have served me well for 2 1 ton pallets of mulch. This should be much easier. The mulch pallets were just over 6' tall. I was on back roads, but it sure felt odd taking turns with all that weight up high.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

This was from my first load of bricks, only 1 ton, next trip I made to get some I loaded up with 2 pallets worth.

woodbrick.jpg

Btw, you can see why i recommended taking some shrink wrap, I had it break on me while going around a corner, had packages all over the side of the road :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: spirilis
Good thing I stopped to take pictures then. Not too much squatting in the rear and it rode like a Cadillac.

LB-side.jpg
LB-back.jpg

Load from last night. I have found it best to put them on top of the wood. But really I put them where ever I have free space.
That is pretty much what I do. They are great for filling in the gaps. I hope to try some brick only loads this weekend to see how that goes. I just need to decide how many to put it. The box on my 7100 is big enough that I can easily fit 60+ in it. Pretty sure doing that many would make me sweat in more ways than one.

I put a whole pack of 12 in the other day by themselves and my cat ran up to 2000 degrees with the primary air shut all the way so I won't do that again, had to open the bypass and let the stove cool down a bit, they however work great mixed with wood, I can fit 8-10 in the corners around the wood and on top.

Since Winter Storm Jonas is keeping me at home, I decided that today would be a good day to try burning the Liberty Bricks by themselves. This morning I raked the coals to the front and burned them down until they were small. Then I threw a shrink-wrapped pack of 12 (most are 10, but a few have 12 to make the layers on the pallet work) with a single split on the coals to get things going.

It took a bit longer to get lit and cruising. Once there I shut down slowly to as low as it would go. I have to admit it was odd to see so much room in the box, but it was for the pursuit of knowledge. They burned great and put out good heat for 6 hours. I reloaded a half hour later.

Since that first load went so well, I decided to take it up another notch. I raked the coals to the front, put in two packs of 10 and added another split on the coals to get things going. That was almost 7 hours ago and it looks like I have at least a couple to go before I can reload. I'll wait though since it is 76* in here.

Neither load appeared to burn any more actively than regular wood. I am thinking that loading them in bundles helps moderate the burning since they are as close together as the can get.

I am really pleased with these things. If I find myself getting short on wood near the end of the season, I getting another load and will definitely have some for next year.

Time for a quick update. I am liking these bricks more and more. I am at 11.5 hours into a burn and have at least another hour before I will need to reload. This is the third burn I have done like this.

I am placing 18 bricks along the back bottom of the firebox still in the wrapper. (I cut two off the end of one 10 pack to name it fit.) Then I fill the box with wood like I normally do and fit the other two bricks in somewhere. Get it lit, damp it down and let it burn.

I and trying to decide if I should try for larger loads of bricks. When they are packed tight, they don't appear to burn with any more energy than regular splits. Out of curiosity, I was able to load 72 bricks in the box with a couple of inches of clearance below the burn tubes. That would be a feat to get that lit, but I like my house and stuff in it.

Out of curiosity, I was able to load 72 bricks in the box with a couple of inches of clearance below the burn tubes.
I don't have experience with that specific brick but the way I've seen Biobricks and Redstone bricks expand I'd be worried about the tubes. Heck... I'd be worried about them coming out the top of the chimney.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Those bricks are definitely a life saver if you don't have a good wood supply, I bought a ton last year for my mom and dad, I took 3 packs to try them out and see what all the fuss was about.
I run a cat stove that you can damp down real good the a t-stat air control, I remember literally throwing a whole package of blocks on hot coals, taking a pic and enjoying the burn, it was something crazy like 20hrs.
The only thing that kind of sucks is the price increase of these in my area, a ton went from 300.00 (which was already kind of expensive in my opinion) to 370.00 this year, making it really not worth it, hopefully this milder winter with cheaper oil prices will stick around and maybe the seller will liquidate there overstock in the spring, if they do depending on the price I will buy up to 3 tons and keep them in the shed over the summer.

my local supplier sells envi and lewis brick. both are $299/ton. the lewis brick is actually a 1920# ton. w/my oil dealer @ just over a $buck and a half, that's 200 gals. price is gonna have to come down a lot to make sense (also a new boiler this Dec 1st) not to burn the oil. admit that I will miss the fire effect, so will the dog?!?

I don't have experience with that specific brick but the way I've seen Biobricks and Redstone bricks expand I'd be worried about the tubes. Heck... I'd be worried about them coming out the top of the chimney.
I have watched these bricks for expansion, and it seems pretty minimal. Granted I do not have experience with any other brands.

my local supplier sells envi and lewis brick. both are $299/ton. the lewis brick is actually a 1920# ton. w/my oil dealer @ just over a $buck and a half, that's 200 gals. price is gonna have to come down a lot to make sense (also a new boiler this Dec 1st) not to burn the oil. admit that I will miss the fire effect, so will the dog?!?
With those prices, I feel pretty lucky to have access to them at $170/ton. It's a 2.5 hr drive and $30-40 of fuel and I can haul two tons. Even though I have access to plenty of wood, I am going to keep some of these bricks on hand. I have a prefect spot in the basement totally out of the way to put about 1.5 tons.

Out of curiosity, I was able to load 72 bricks in the box with a couple of inches of clearance below the burn tubes. That would be a feat to get that lit, but I like my house and stuff in it.
72 bricks, is that a typo?

Call Peter Moliterno at 804-937-5300.

I had the same issue. Turns out the website is old and the emails are not monitored. Makes me wonder how much business they are missing out on.