Liberty door gasket sizes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBERT F

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2009
CENTRAL COLORADO
Ok folks, did a quick search, and didn't see much. my question is what size door gasket and what size glass gasket? arborist.com thread said 5/8 inch door gasket, bought that, seems when fattened out its the same width, but not as thick. should mention that this door was re-built by retailer, not the factory set up. original door had animal scene in glass, and unit was a demo, gasket was damaged from customers pulling at it. gasket seems same as my other stoves', just lighter grey color? lopi seems to not allow internet parts sales, and my local dealer wants $56 dollars for the door kit#99900406, and $34 for the glass kit#100-01164. and they refuse to clue me in as to the diameters. any help would be appreciated, as I am sure someone else has gone thru the trial of this before.

the gasket removed from the door has an inner section of gasket apprx. 1/2 inch in diameter, then an outer gasket over that. The gasket itself has a firm feel to it, not a lot of compression, unlike the rutland and imperial gaskets that I looked at, they were single construction and flattened out way more.

Turns out there are 3 different doors for the libertys thru the years. mine happens to use 1/4 rope for the glass seal, 1/4 tape under the retainers, and 7/8 for the door seal. Well turns out the reason the seals were leaking in the first place is the casting is cracked. so temp was surely causing the crack to open, and the cam action of the lock flexes the crack open too. explains alot about why the stove was acting the way it was. Gonna drive way outta my way to go to the next county to go to a lopi dealer, the one that was willing to help me on the phone. gonna drive right past the one that wouldnt on my way. such a shame!!!

One thing you run into is some manufacturers are using high density rope for the gaskets. And the Rutland crap is low density and won't work.

And it is virtually impossible to find a dealer, in my experience, that carries high density gasket. The Imperial gasket stocked by Lowe's was high density until two years ago and then they changed it to the low density fluff that Rutland sells. If there is an industrial furnace supply place somewhere around you they probably have it.

Has nothing to do with the crack in the door but I just have to rant about the gasket every once in a while. :mad:

Yep, all I could find localy was crap gaskets. not much better offerings online. Crap gasket is better than no gasket I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.