Jotul Olso - proper gasket size??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davespider

Aug 16, 2020
NorthWest, MI
I just purchased the Jotul gasket kit from Woodsman Part Plus...but my question is...which gasket goes where ( I removed the gaskets while I was wire wheeling it)? There seems to be 5 different sizes. The flat gasket looks to be for the glass clips..the really big one (no adhesive strip) seems to be for the main door, the side door, and the door window gasket.
I searched but couldn't find any specifics.

Per the manual...

Smoke Outlet 1/4 in. 3 ft.
Ash Housing 1/4 in. 4 ft.

Top Cover 3/8 in. 3.5 ft.
Top Plate 3/8 in. 7 ft.
Ash Pan Door 3/8 in. 4 ft.
Front Door 3/8 in. 6 ft
Left Side Door 3/8 in. 4.5 ft.
Glass 3/8 in. 5 ft.

...but why do I have 5 different sizes/types?

Thanks for the help. I just want to be sure before I start cutting.

In 20 years I've changed only the left side and ash door. A few times each. I never use the front door, and its ok. I think the glass gasket maybe good forever. On the ash pan door, I use one size bigger than it calls for. I purchase the graphite rope at HD, or online. Nothing wrong with buying from Jotel but it will be pricey. You just dry fit it, don't stretch it, and cut it. I found the extreme high temp RTV gasket cement is the way to go. It's flexible and removes easily.

Did you get all these gaskets because your doing a total rebuild? I thought the left side door and the ash door were different diameters. But I would have to look at my stove paper work. As to all the different lengths, I guessing, it looks like they 1/2 ft increments, but seams like they would have to be cut to fit.

One other tip, the top insulation blanket can but found in a roll and cut to size. You only get a few years out of the blanket.

I just purchased the Jotul gasket kit from Woodsman Part Plus...but my question is...which gasket goes where ( I removed the gaskets while I was wire wheeling it)? There seems to be 5 different sizes. The flat gasket looks to be for the glass clips..the really big one (no adhesive strip) seems to be for the main door, the side door, and the door window gasket.
I searched but couldn't find any specifics.

Per the manual...

Smoke Outlet 1/4 in. 3 ft.
Ash Housing 1/4 in. 4 ft.

Top Cover 3/8 in. 3.5 ft.
Top Plate 3/8 in. 7 ft.
Ash Pan Door 3/8 in. 4 ft.
Front Door 3/8 in. 6 ft
Left Side Door 3/8 in. 4.5 ft.
Glass 3/8 in. 5 ft.

...but why do I have 5 different sizes/types?

Thanks for the help. I just want to be sure before I start cutting.
It would have been nice to have some better instructions for sure! The only help that I *think* I can lend is that when I got my stove, new a few years back, I seem to remember the gasket for the Smoke Outlet being flat with an adhesive strip.