Lignetics Green Supreme or Freedom Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
Which is preferred? Rural king has both. I told them I need a pallet loaded on my truck and he brought Lignetics.
I walked back where they keep them and saw the Freedoms. They were obviously newer and stacked fresh.

I have never burned either. I thought about telling him to switch them because the pallet of Lignetics was leaning so bad I wasn’t sure I’d make it home. It’s obviously a very old ton. It’s easily visible that it’s weathered and the pallet is rotten. I felt around it and couldn’t feel any wet pellets. I’ve gotten pretty good at this method of finding wet bags. I went ahead and accepted it mostly because I’ve never heard of Freedoms and Lignetics were all the rage at one time. Hope they burn well. I hate returning pellets.

2B38AA45-7A1F-4FB9-80F1-1CB04FD44405.jpeg

Which is preferred? Rural king has both. I told them I need a pallet loaded on my truck and he brought Lignetics.
I walked back where they keep them and saw the Freedoms. They were obviously newer and stacked fresh.

I have never burned either. I thought about telling him to switch them because the pallet of Lignetics was leaning so bad I wasn’t sure I’d make it home. It’s obviously a very old ton. It’s easily visible that it’s weathered and the pallet is rotten. I felt around it and couldn’t feel any wet pellets. I’ve gotten pretty good at this method of finding wet bags. I went ahead and accepted it mostly because I’ve never heard of Freedoms and Lignetics were all the rage at one time. Hope they burn well. I hate returning pellets.

View attachment 307729
Lignetic corp controls a whole slew of pellet brands including the many green supremes that are at most Home depots.. that said they were always a tick or 2 above box store stuff back then. Really don't know how they are now. Decent heat but like most box store hardwoods, lots of ash. Prob same..

I hope they put out good heat. T hats all that matters to me. The Enviro Omega seems to handle ash pretty good. I’ve been burning Somersets that the local Menards always carried and they were very ashy this season for some reason. Didn’t smell the same either. Kind of had a burning paper smell to them. Menards isn’t carrying them anymore now. Can’t recall what they have. I just saw it wasn’t Somersets and immediately went to Rural King.

Green Supremes vary by "flavor". I would guess that you didn't get the Northeast blend (which are super ashy, but decent heat - although not a hot pellet by any means). Some of the other flavors, I've heard good things about.

Don't know about Freedom though.

Burning the Greens now. Heat seems about the same as Somersets. Don’t have any data comparisons no way to check temps right now. Very dusty out of the bags. Doesn’t really bother me much. Seems like more ash. One thing I’m interested in finding out is carbon build up on the burn pot. Somersets were terrible about that. Hoping these will be different. Unfortunately there were 8 wet bags out of the pallet. It’s an expensive drive for me back to town with diesel prices so I just salvaged what I could out of the bags. Probably lost a total of three bags.

Tried a bag. Here is the data

Green Supreme - Allegheny Mountain Hardwood Pellets purchased through Leeway Ace Hardware
Purchased 1/6/23
Color Med brown, semi buff exterior
Pellet size between 5.84 - 7.25mm
Time to burn = 18hr, 07min
Average Glass Temperature (measured at center) = 463.54 °F
Ash weight (fully brushed out stove and burn pot) = 3.8oz
Ash description = granular to powder.
Glass cleanliness = 40% lite brown to black deposits.
Much more fine black ash on all interior sides of stove during cleaning.
Smell = Used Oil

Don’t think mine were that variety. I’ll have to check a bag when I get home. I did check the thermostat remotely and the house is 3 degrees warmer then it was at this time last night when I was burning Somersets. Oat yesterday was 7 degrees colder then tonight. Makes me wonder what setting I left it on tonight. Can’t remember.

Don’t think mine were that variety. I’ll have to check a bag when I get home. I did check the thermostat remotely and the house is 3 degrees warmer then it was at this time last night when I was burning Somersets. Oat yesterday was 7 degrees colder then tonight. Makes me wonder what setting I left it on tonight. Can’t remember.
My house is a cape with full dormer, with the stove in a 16x24ft addition to one side. I leave the stove set to 72 and let the stove control all. House varies from 68 on the 2nd floor to 70-71 at the house end opposite the stove. We keep the Bluetooth remote next to the furnace thermostat

Last edited:
I checked when I got home. It was on same setting. This version of Ligs is Appalachian, it’s a different variety. They seem to throw good heat. The only drawback is there is a ton of dust. I almost feel like I need a dust mask when I open a bag. I wonder if the different titles like Allegheny and Appalachian designate the plant the pellets come from.

B83C4D7F-C944-481A-B3D1-2A848B4C4C02.jpeg

Last edited:
I checked when I got home. It was on same setting. This version of Ligs is Appalachian, it’s a different variety. They seem to throw good heat. The only drawback is there is a ton of dust. I almost feel like I need a dust mask when I open a bag. I wonder if the different titles like Allegheny and Appalachian designate the plant the pellets come from.

View attachment 307865
My bag was definitely Alleghany, Lignets is a good size company, over 500-1000 employees

20230104_123036.jpg

I wonder if the different titles like Allegheny and Appalachian designate the plant the pellets come from.
That's exactly what they mean. That's why it's always important to reference what type of GS you are talking about because they are all different. There's a lot of confusion/misinformation on here in regards to GS because most don't state the type they are reviewing.

temp.jpg

Reactions: 3650