Like A Rock!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We went for a ride tonight, the frogs were singing big time in the swamp, this tree is on the other side of the swamp up on the hill (swamp hill) not sure what it is except it's solid.

I might be dropping about 3-4 dead standing on Friday, this will be one of them if I do.

Attachments

• 100_7084.JPG
    100_7084.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_7085.JPG
    100_7085.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_7086.JPG
    100_7086.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_7087.JPG
    100_7087.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 141
Get 'er down, we need split pics! ;)

Reactions: zap
Get 'er down, we need split pics! ;)
My plan is to drop three other trees plus this one (all dead) the other three have been put up on here, some think they're elm.

That might be hickory.

It seems that you have a lot of dead trees. must be a very mature forrest you got up there.

That might be hickory.
LP, I've never seen hickory on our property, we'll find out when I split it.

katwillny, I think you could consider it mature but Sav would be a better judge of that than me.

Zap, I have a pond and love to hear the peapers in the spring. Music to the ear
Take your time and one at a time
Before we owned our land my MIL would like us to take her down the road next to the swamp so she could listen, 1 @ a time it is.

Looks like a big ol' hard maple to me, zappy......

That'd be some good stuff, I'm betting it'd be ready for this winter if you get 'er split and stacked soon...

Reactions: Defiant
If the three photos posted are the same tree it is Soft Maple photo 1&2 are most definately soft maple bark. Looks like it has a fair amount of Curl in it as well.

If the three photos posted are the same tree it is Soft Maple photo 1&2 are most definately soft maple bark. Looks like it has a fair amount of Curl in it as well.
The pics are all from the same tree, what do you mean by curl, twist?

I think he has a Chubby Checker/Winter Olympic complex;) Nice photos and great wood, thanks for sharing:cool:

If you don't have any other hickory around it's probably not then. Pic 7086 and that dark color under the bark just look a shade like bitternut. My first thought was maple. I don't want to disagree with nrford though he takes things like that a little too personal to my liking.

If you don't have any other hickory around it's probably not then. Pic 7086 and that dark color under the bark just look a shade like bitternut. My first thought was maple. I don't want to disagree with nrford though he takes things like that a little too personal to my liking.
The thing it will do, burn, won't matter what type of tree it is. It's been dead for years, the reason I never dropped it was because of the top, all the rotten chit came off since last fall.

looks like red maple/swamp maple to me. I don't know anything about hard or soft maple other than rock/sugar maple is hard and anything else is soft.

Reactions: nrford
The thing it will do, burn, won't matter what type of tree it is. It's been dead for years, the reason I never dropped it was because of the top, all the rotten chit came off since last fall.

Yep the thing we do know, it will be gotten wood then farwood.

Reactions: Defiant and zap
AKA: Tigerstripe, or fiddleback. See the ripples in the exposed wood below the bark and on the right of the first close-up.

Looks like red maple to me too.

The bark just doesn't look like any red maple around here, but its possible. Either way, that tree is a maple and looks ripe for the pickin'. A few cuts with the saw would help determine if it was hard or soft maple. Not to mention the weight of the rounds. My money is on hard maple.....

maybe you should get your table top from that if the wood has not started to go
We'll see after I get it down, just what I need is another project. Living with White Pines (all the needles) is a full time job, I can't keep up with it which sucks big time.

I need a bigger trailer for the Rhino so I can haul more, maybe work at it all summer to make a dent getting rid of the needles, it's like spinning your wheels, you never get any place.

I went up to this after the first two drops, I never noticed when I took the first pics but the back is hollowed out so I left it until I bring the winch & cable back in.

Attachments

• 100_7118.JPG
    100_7118.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.