Line an 8" existing pipe with a new 6" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DDWil

Aug 8, 2023
New Mexico
Can a person run (up through the middle) or line an existing 8" triple wall chimney pipe with a 6" rigid liner or a 6" triple wall chimney pipe? My old stove had 8" piping from stove to cap, with triple wall going from ceiling on up. My new stove is a 6" pipe. What kind of pipe could I run through the middle of the old 8" triple wall to get to the top of the chimney and cap?

Last edited:
If the old chimney pipe is not rated at HT2100 then it would be better to replace it with new double-wall Class A chimney pipe.

I also have an 8" pipe that I'd like to line with 6". I'm hoping to replace a heatilator fireplace with an efficient woodstove. The label on the pipe says SL330 and manufactured in 11/1994.

If the goal is to remove a zero clearance fireplace to create an alcove there are specific clearances. What is the whole plan? What stove would be installed?

I think SL300 is air cooled pipe supported by the fireplace. If the Heatilator is being removed it should be replaced with 6" class A chimney pipe that has a proper support.

If the goal is to remove a zero clearance fireplace to create an alcove there are specific clearances. What is the whole plan? What stove would be installed?

I think SL300 is air cooled pipe supported by the fireplace. If the Heatilator is being removed it should be replaced with 6" class A chimney pipe that has a proper support.
Originally, I hoped for an insert. However, it seems hard to find a compatible unit to fit into the heatilator fireplace.

Then, my goal was to leave the fireplace in place and route the stove pipe up the original chimney and use a freestanding woodstove like the Jotul F500 or Osburn 2000 out in front of the fireplace. Not sure about the stove yet. The idea was to 90 out of the stove to a tee below the existing stove pipe (inside the ZC fireplace) and connect to a 6" liner up the existing stove pipe. Then, I would cover the fireplace with some type of non-combustible facing with a thimble in it. One installer said this would work.

The other installer I spoke with said exactly what you said in your reply. He said to remove the ZC fireplace and existing chimney and then run new pipe. This makes the most sense to me. Looks like the fireplace will have to go.

Attached files for a before and after (sketchup drawing) of what I was thinking.

Existing Hearth 2.jpg Future Hearth Design Rev 2.JPG

Not sure if I should begin a new post but...

Is is possible to demo/remove the existing Heatilator and frame a non-combustible box in the space and install an insert? And then install a new 6" class A pipe?

Not sure if I should begin a new post but...

Is is possible to demo/remove the existing Heatilator and frame a non-combustible box in the space and install an insert? And then install a new 6" class A pipe?
Nope it would need to be a built to code masonry fireplace

That's what I thought. A local installer just told me that I could do that. I'm just about to give up on this project.

I very much appreciate all of your help.

That's what I thought. A local installer just told me that I could do that. I'm just about to give up on this project.

I very much appreciate all of your help.
Yeah don't hire him