Liner Install Price of $11k?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd be interested in hearing from pros about adobr chimneys - with clay (or uninsulated steel) liners. Because the letter of the law would make that illegal, because straw is combustible.

I do see it's enclosed (straw in mortar, not seeing outside air), and not likely a hazard. But those who wrote the code did not think about this, I surmise.
It would make sense if they had different codes referencing Adobe chimneys. It is a very different building material than traditional cmu chimneys

Reactions: stoveliker
I will not be connecting it to the clay liner but I will be making a baffle that closes off the chamber of the Hearth and woodstove. and perhaps that is the reason people insist that a liner directly connected to the stove is so important? If I do not use a liner I guess you would call it a loose connection unlike a firm connestion of a direct pipe.
What you are talking about is a direct connect install. It can meet code if done properly but you need to positively connect to your clay liner

I see. I think I will go hit the happy hour bus.
As a chimney professional I am actually required to do that. In theory I could be held liable for ignoring safety issues

It would make sense if they had different codes referencing Adobe chimneys. It is a very different building material than traditional cmu chimneys
In New Mexico Adobe Chimneys are extremely common. What is not common is using a wood stove inside a kiva chamber as if it were a insert. Kiva fireplaces are really decorative and not real efficient unless you use them consistently day and night to keep the huge mass warm and like cutting wood and tending fires. We have heated this house with only our large Kiva fireplace (not the small one on the other side of the adobe mass) but I don't like cutting and tending enough to keep doing it.

In New Mexico Adobe Chimneys are extremely common. What is not common is using a wood stove inside a kiva chamber as if it were a insert. Kiva fireplaces are really decorative and not real efficient unless you use them consistently day and night to keep the huge mass warm and like cutting wood and tending fires. We have heated this house with only our large Kiva fireplace (not the small one on the other side of the adobe mass) but I don't like cutting and tending enough to keep doing it.
Yes I am very aware of kivas and Adobe chimneys.

that will not be happening.
Then your setup will most likely struggle with draft and creosote buildup. Definitely won't meet code and will be very difficult to maintain.

That is why my initial response to your question asked how you planned to connect to the clay liner

Last edited:
You do realize the clearance requirements were put in the code because of know issues with fires created by heat transfer through the masonry structure. Nothing has changed in that respect at all and the performance benifits alone are well worth the trouble of insulating liners. So how is that code illogical?

I don't see why some people are so dead set against breaking out the old clay. Once you get used to it it generally only takes about an hour to do. It really isn't a big deal in most cases
No I didn't realize that!
Give this homeowner your hourly rate, and it's gonna be "situation resolved".

No I didn't realize that!
Give this homeowner your hourly rate, and it's gonna be "situation resolved".
I don't know what that means.

Again are you a chimney pro?