Liner issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clipse270

Mar 25, 2017
Harrisburg PA
Hi all, recently purchased a Drolet 1800i and had a local stove guy come out to install. My chimney is about 25 ft exterior however from the fireplace to the chimney is unlike anything the stove guy has ever seen. From the fireplace it rises, to a 45 degree turn but it also instead of going straight up at 45 degrees it also curves to the right slightly. It’s just enough that your can’t see the chimney from the fireplace. He attempted to pass a liner through this but was unable to because of the curve, but also because Where the flue enters the chimney, there is also about 2 feet below the inlet of chimney and he can’t get the liner to make the turn without pinching it. He suggested a clean out door that way he can knock out some rock if need be. I’m skeptical as he initially told me this was a simple install. Thoughts?

It sounds like your chimney is the exception to the rule, based upon what one can see while looking at it.

If he is confident this option will solve the problem, without pics of what he is seeing, I can’t judge his decision to be good or not.

Is he a certified chimney sweep? Did he come recommended?

Reactions: bholler
Hi all, recently purchased a Drolet 1800i and had a local stove guy come out to install. My chimney is about 25 ft exterior however from the fireplace to the chimney is unlike anything the stove guy has ever seen. From the fireplace it rises, to a 45 degree turn but it also instead of going straight up at 45 degrees it also curves to the right slightly. It’s just enough that your can’t see the chimney from the fireplace. He attempted to pass a liner through this but was unable to because of the curve, but also because Where the flue enters the chimney, there is also about 2 feet below the inlet of chimney and he can’t get the liner to make the turn without pinching it. He suggested a clean out door that way he can knock out some rock if need be. I’m skeptical as he initially told me this was a simple install. Thoughts?
It is not uncommon to open up holes to clear obstructions.

Reactions: pen