Liner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tee does not need insulated as long as there are no combustibles in contact with the chimney in that area You need proper clearances at the crock but other wise it is ok. If it is going through a framed wall you will either need 12" of masonry or use a wall thimble kit. Post some pics of the crock area

The tee does not need insulated as long as there are no combustibles in contact with the chimney in that area You need proper clearances at the crock but other wise it is ok. If it is going through a framed wall you will either need 12" of masonry or use a wall thimble kit. Post some pics of the crock area

is the crock area the opening into the masonry chimney? i havent gone thru the wall yet, i think i'm going to this weekend, so i can make sure the hearth i put down in centered to the flue. i'll post pictures once i make some progress

is the crock area the opening into the masonry chimney? i havent gone thru the wall yet, i think i'm going to this weekend, so i can make sure the hearth i put down in centered to the flue. i'll post pictures once i make some progress

Liner questions

I uploaded this goofy microsoft paint picture of my situation

I spoke to a stove shop this morning. I told them i was planning on running a thru wall insulated thimble directly to a tee/chimney liner. They said the thimble wasnt made to connect to anything, just to dump into a masonry chimney.

What is my best course of action here? Do i need to scrap the insulated thimble? Do i need to install masonry 12" around the perimeter of the opening instead?

Is there really no way to run an insulated thimble into a chimney liner?

The stove shop has no idea what they are talking about. That is what they are made for they are made to safley pass thru a combustible wall to a masonry chimney. You then pass your snout that is attached to the tee through that thimble

The stove shop has no idea what they are talking about. That is what they are made for they are made to safley pass thru a combustible wall to a masonry chimney. You then pass your snout that is attached to the tee through that thimble

how do you fasten the snout to the thimble? does it just slide in and thats it? no hose clamp?

is it safe to assume the front section of the thimble will accept a double wall pipe?

You dont attach any thing to the thimble it is just an insulated conduit for the stainless

You dont attach any thing to the thimble it is just an insulated conduit for the stainless

Thanks again bholler

ok, its just a sleeve.

so i just need to buy a thimble with an ID that will accept my piping's OD ?

would the installation process go something like this:
1. install liner with tee
2. install tee snout, tighten fittings from the inside of tee snout
3. install thimble, secure it to masonry, secure it to outside wall
4. run piping thru thimble and into tee snout...?

how do you fasten the pipe going thru the thimble to the snout?

sorry for dragging the subject on, but i'm still trying to work it all out in my head.
bholler, i really appreciate all your answers
bholler, i really appreciate all your answers

You will attach the proper amout of stainless pipe to the snout before you put it in. There should be at a minimum 1" of stainless sticking out past the thimble.

Just to be clear this is the type of thimble i am talking about there are many different manufacturers and several different types but here is the first one i found when i searched.
http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/insul_flue.php

I would definitely use a insulated liner. When the liner is insulated it will help give the stove a better draw. You may want to look at a company called Fireside Chimney supply. This is where I bought all of my stuff from. Good Luck!

https://www.firesidechimneysupply.com/

I've ordered a 5.5" liner along with 1/4" insulation. The flue's ID is 6.75" x 11.25" so i didnt think i could pull off the 6" liner, still worried about getting the 5.5" liner down once insulated.

stove and liner has arrived, currently trying to fit everything together. I have an issue with the thimble and snout of the tee. both are 6" pieces, but they are the exact same dimension. after speaking with my stove salesmen, i was under the impression one would slip into the other. whats the best way to resolve this? coupling?

Liner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.