liner to insert installation help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jpcjguy

Jul 1, 2015
richmond, va
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's advice on here regarding installing the liner. Still have some adjustments to make thanks to bholler. I want to make sure I have everything to properly install the insulated liner to the stove.
Below are some pics of the coupler I received in the kit from rockford chimney supply and the stove. So how does all this fit together? The coupler "necked" down slips into the stove until it hits the bolts inside that hold the removable flue collar. The other end will not fit over the insulated section. It probably would fit if I peel the outer wall and insulation off. I do have a section of liner that I can experiment on. Advice on the proper way to install this? Do I need extra parts? Thanks!

Attachments

• adapter5.jpg
    adapter5.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 299
  • adapter4.jpg
    adapter4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 294
  • adapter3.jpg
    adapter3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 304
  • adapter2.jpg
    adapter2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 279
  • adapter1.jpg
    adapter1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 301
  • instructions2.jpg
    instructions2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 288
  • instructions1.jpg
    instructions1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 286
Remove the insulation. The bare liner should slip into that stovetop adapter.

You want to trim some of the stovetop adaptor so it can either sit down flush with the top of the collar, or notch around the bolts so it can sit down farther. Just make sure the adaptor doesn’t protrude below the stovetop. Are you positive a straight adaptor will work? We rarely get by without using an elbow on the stovetop. It happens, but not all that often.

Reactions: bholler
I second what webby said about the elbow. It is rare we can use a straight.

Thanks for info everyone! I am not sure I need an elbow. My opening is 29" tall and I measured inside to the top of the fire brick and it is 39".
I measured the adapter on the stove and it is 24" tall and that is with it not seated because of the bolts inside. Once seated, it is probably about 23" tall. I was inspecting the collar to stove area where a gasket is supposed to go. I scraped away some remnants of gasket material and it looks like a good seal still - but should I put a new one in or leave it alone? Attached are some pics. I did a quick search and found this gasket that matches the part number - is this superwool any good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078C9CDDX/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Regarding the adapter, it just slides into the collar? After I notch it will sit flush on the collar see picture adapter1.jpg in 1st post but there will not be an actual "seal", is that acceptable? The instructions say to just use sheet metal screws to attach the pipe to the collar - should I skip the adapter and just put the pipe (after I strip the outer wall and the insulation) into the collar directly?

Attachments

• chimney gasket2.jpg
    chimney gasket2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 236
  • chimney gasket1.jpg
    chimney gasket1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 243
Use the adapter to insert and attach the liner to the flue collar. That will provide a much more substantial thickness of metal to attach to. Are you concerned about a gap and if so, how large a gap will there be? If there is a thin gap it can be filled with stove cement.

Reactions: webby3650
Use the adapter to insert and attach the liner to the flue collar. That will provide a much more substantial thickness of metal to attach to. Are you concerned about a gap and if so, how large a gap will there be? If there is a thin gap it can be filled with stove cement.
Did you mean “use adapter to insert and attach the liner to the adapter”?

The adapter goes between the insert and the liner. It provides a clamp on one end for fastening to the liner and a stainless sleeve on its other end to insert into the flue collar.

chimney-liner-kit-smooth-wall-straight-stove-adapter-5dy-sm435k-adp-5_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - so here is the adapter in the flue collar and I have pressed against the other side. The gap is minimal, but regardless I should use some stove cement in addition to the sheet metal screws?

Attachments

• chimney-adapter-fit.jpg
    chimney-adapter-fit.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for the feedback - so here is the adapter in the flue collar and I have pressed against the other side. The gap is minimal, but regardless I should use some stove cement in addition to the sheet metal screws?
Cut the adapter so it seats all the way down and you won't need anything.

So I am coming back to this. I have cut the adapter so it fits over the screws. It still does not seat all the way but I think it is good.
I also had some extra liner so I peeled back the outer layer and the insulation and test fit the adapter. On the actual liner, I will cut the outer liner just above the screw band. Do I need to do anything with the little bit of insulation left on the liner? Cover it, remove every trace, or just leave it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• adapter on liner.jpg
    adapter on liner.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 193
  • liner cut back.jpg
    liner cut back.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 208
  • adapter-seated.jpg
    adapter-seated.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 195
  • adapter-cut2.jpg
    adapter-cut2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 198
  • adapter-cut1.jpg
    adapter-cut1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 200
Just leave it.

Put wheels on the beast. Ratchet strap it to an appliance dolly so that it becomes one with it. Then it should be pretty easy to roll in place. 3 guys should be able to lift it onto the hearth.

That is what I am planning.. Using ramp into the house and have it on a furniture dolly. Then lift it in place with 3 of us. I have some 1/2" PVC I have cut into 28" lengths that we can use to roll it into the fireplace (Egyptian style!)

If you have a sheet of metal, lay that on the hearth. Then the insert will slide right in, without scratching the hearth.

Got it in place! That was not fun. There is not a lot of "up" movement in the pipe to get it seated as I slid the unit in.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 194
  • insert2.jpg
    insert2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 198
Looks great!