Lining Old 9X13 Flue | Conflicting Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 2, 2020
MA
Hi All,

I own an early 1900's three story home in New England with a fireplace on the first floor. The chimney is entirely on the interior of the house and protrudes out the third story roof five feet or so - for a total of about 35" stack (or thereabouts). I am told the flue is 9X13. There is a slight bend towards the bottom of the chimney above the fireplace which is where I think the smoke chamber is. Otherwise, it's a pretty straight run through the center of the house, up through the walk-up attic and out the roof.

The fireplace in the living room is 28"H X 35"W X 20"D. The surround is mostly wooden columns with a mirror above the mantel. The interior of the chimney itself is brick with some cracking showing on a video scan that was done.

The fireplace has not been used in over a year since, when we bought the house, we were told that the chimney needed a liner in order to be run safely. We contacted several nearby companies and got conflicting advice from most of them when we thought dropping a liner in would be simple (how wrong we were!).

The first company, a full service company that sells stoves, said they would "absolutely not" install a liner for wood burning in the chimney and recommended a new gas insert. While the idea of gas is appealing for convenience, most of the inserts that are aesthetically pleasing to us (that fit the old house feel/not super modern look) seem to require 36" of clearance from the hearth to the mantel and we have only 35". This company also sells a lot of inserts and stoves so I am weary of their recommendation as being self serving.

The second company, a mason who I trust and has good references, said he could easily fit a 7 X 11 heavy stainless liner for the fireplace and would pour Thermix to fill the void between brick and the liner. That was the extent of his proposal.

I have read about some folks not recommending Thermix and instead suggesting pre-wrapping insulation around the liner. He did not note that in his

With that background, here are my questions:

1. Does the mason's proposal sound reasonable given the size and age of the chimney? Would you install a liner in this interior fireplace?
2. Is there anything else that I should ask the mason to include in his proposal (for example, the name brand of the liner, or anything else)?
3. If a liner truly cannot be installed, do you know if there are any resources to find gas inserts that have at most 35" hearth to mantel clearance?

If you all have any other advice or if I can give more details, do let me know!

Thank you!

Is the goal to use this as a fireplace or for a wood-burning insert?

The mason is closer to being correct. An insulated liner would be safer. This could be an ovalized 6" liner or a preinsulated oval liner if the intent is to install a wood-burning insert. The thermix idea would not insure an evenly spaced insulation layer around the liner.

If the goal is to use as a fireplace then the clay liner may need to be broken out so that an insulated liner of the proper size for the fireplace can be installed.

Thank you for the info.

The goal would be to use as a wood burning fireplace, not as a wood insert.

If not safe to use as a wood burning fireplace, we would probably install some kind of gas insert which would be convenient but change the character of an old house that we love so that's a lesser desired option.

Thank you for the info.

The goal would be to use as a wood burning fireplace, not as a wood insert.

If not safe to use as a wood burning fireplace, we would probably install some kind of gas insert which would be convenient but change the character of an old house that we love so that's a lesser desired option.
I understand the appeal of an open fire. But you are going to spend allot of money to make the fireplace useable but it still won't contribute much if any heat to the home. If you are ok with that go for it. But it will not be a heater at all

Reactions: blacktail
Get a certified chimneysweep out there and ask about relining safely. If you do decide to go with gas, Valor makes some quality inserts that have some nice, period trim options.

Last edited: