Literally Can NOT get pellets!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offingmoot

Jul 15, 2008
Central/South Jersey
Just spent two weeks researching wood vs pellet insert. Decided pellet. had a dealer come out to price install. Wanted quad santa fe.
Now i find out i cant get pellets. called two dealers in NJ not even close to my house who both said they have nothing available. One place said they wouldnt even sell me a stove right now.
Both places said even if they were stocked they wouldnt deliver all the way to my house over 50 miles!!!

What am i supposed to do?

Guess i gotta go with wood

My store was in NJ - southern - and pellets are either not available or very hard to find......almost always.

It's tough for many people to understand the regional nature of pellet heat. I was always amazed when I would travel to NY state and New England and see lots of pellet stoves in the shops, because we certainly did not have the "pellet eco-system" going on in the philly metro area.

so this is not just a seasonal problem because people preordered this year?
i should expect this difficulty every year?

man guess i have to go with wood then huh?

Lot of trucks on the car lots. LOL

Eric

this is really disheartening!!
i spent many hours doing research, searching through forums, and reading brochures. i am really disapointed that i cant get pellets. A guy i work with says a local friend of his can get corn but i know the quads cant burn corn exclusively w/o being ignited with regular pellets and with the programmable thermostat.
this just plain sux!!!

No Sam's Club in NJ, they sell tons up here. You do have to pick them up, cash and carry.

no lowes,home depot or walmart either??

i know im in vermont, and it should be tough here to get pellets,but ive seen them forsale more than i thought recently,price maybe a little high 259-279 ton. i talked to a dealer today that said he was told he would get plenty if they can get there deliveries on schedule.not enough trucks to go around.most truckers looking for loads both ways to make it feasible. he said some pellet suppilers are telling him dealers have over ordered and are now canceling orders,because they cant get enough stoves to sell.plus it doesnt help that many customers are ordering enough for 2 -3 years.

lowes depot walmar and sams all checked they do not sell them here
there is just no demand what-so-ever for them

on a positive note when i look at craig's list there is plenty of free firewood available if i want it
so maybe going with wood isnt gonna be so bad, although i would still prefer pellets

offingmoot said:
lowes depot walmar and sams all checked they do not sell them here
there is just no demand what-so-ever for them

on a positive note when i look at craig's list there is plenty of free firewood available if i want it
so maybe going with wood isnt gonna be so bad, although i would still prefer pellets

My advice - unless you really want to be a pioneer - is not to purchase a pellet stove without multiple an continuous sources of pellets. That means numerous outlets that have been selling them through thick and thin (not here today, gone tomorrow).

Tying yourself to one supplier is just plain silly.......I would suggest burning oil, gas, lp or something else first.

Yes, in your case given the history....I would either go with firewood or "grin and bear it" and be a pioneer expecting to scrounge for your pellets, arrange truckloads with others, etc.

offingmoot said:
Just spent two weeks researching wood vs pellet insert. Decided pellet. had a dealer come out to price install. Wanted quad santa fe.
Now i find out i cant get pellets. called two dealers in NJ not even close to my house who both said they have nothing available. One place said they wouldnt even sell me a stove right now.
Both places said even if they were stocked they wouldnt deliver all the way to my house over 50 miles!!!

What am i supposed to do?

Guess i gotta go with wood

Give these guys a call...

http://www.notiecorp.com/woodpellets.html

Some Agways carry pellets. Do you have any Tractor Supply stores? Agway might get some for you even if they do not usually stock them. I'm up in NorthWestern NJ near the Delaware Water Gap. I got so many places to choose from up here in NJ & PA and the prices are still about $235 / ton. Rent a U-haul truck and take a short trip and pick up 4 or 5 tons.

looks like the big box stores in my area only stock them in september they get 1 to 2 deliveries and that is it
i live in forked river
went to wood stove and fireplace center last night in oakhurst, they have energex pellets for $299/ton but no means to deliver so i will have to get them home myself
for me to travel up north in a uhaul probably would be worth the $64 per ton i would be saving, plus to buy 4-5 tons is a lot of work!!
i am gonna check out agway as well

Plenty around the Delaware Water Gap area. Just picked up some "extra" pellets at Millers in East Bangor PA. $250.00 for 1 ton Lignetics, about $6.00 for gas in my truck and some sweat. BadDad....................

offingmoot said:
looks like the big box stores in my area only stock them in september they get 1 to 2 deliveries and that is it
i live in forked river
went to wood stove and fireplace center last night in oakhurst, they have energex pellets for $299/ton but no means to deliver so i will have to get them home myself
for me to travel up north in a uhaul probably would be worth the $64 per ton i would be saving, plus to buy 4-5 tons is a lot of work!!
i am gonna check out agway as well

ya gotta remember... this isnt oil or nattiegas. there is some work to it. if you want to put in some effort to save some money, the reward can be substantial, but you cant just call for a delivery and turn up the thermostat!

i understand the work involved but i am not in the ideal situation for any of this. my drive to work is 40 miles one way so owning a truck is impractical for me. if i did have a truck i would go with wood and grab all the free wood that i could. i dont mind lifting bags from the basement to living room to burn or cleaning the stove everyday.
just thought from readin online that i would be able to get them delivered.
at least the place i can buy from will store them for me until i can get them home

I am similar. I drive 100 miles per day, so no chance for a truck. As one poster suggested, i rented the 17 foot uhaul at 29.95 today (plus .59/mi) and picked up 3 tons at a dealer about 20 miles from me. i don't have any close except for home depot and Tractor Supply, but i really don't like their pellets. SO my cost was 239 per ton, plus 63.00 for the U-Haul. The part i definitely underestimated was unloading them from the truck and into the basement. My body is going to be sore for weeks after that :)

will you burn all 3 tons in one season? are you concerned about any moisture getting into the bags?
the way i understand a full ton is weather proof wrapped and the individual bags have wholes for ventilation.
i will have to look into the price of a uhaul. the dealer i am gettin my stove from is at leas 35 miles away from my house

Status
Not open for further replies.