Little Help...Why Is My Stainless Smoke Pipe Discolored?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
This is a brand new installation. I have been burning 24/7 for the past week and I just noticed the top of my smoke pipe is discolored. It looks kind of like a rainbow...as if it has over heated. This discoloration is on the downwind side of the pipe.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Top Of Pipe.jpg
    Top Of Pipe.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,451
Well I hope its normal as I have the same exact thing on my stainless steel chimney at the top. Maybe its due to the smoke/heat discharging into the air creating condensation and bronzing? Sorry, I guess my post isn't very helpful other than to say you're not alone....I am curious if its normal as well?

Yeah it is just smoke staining from wind whipping the smoke around the top of the chimney.

fdegree said:
This is a brand new installation. I have been burning 24/7 for the past week and I just noticed the top of my smoke pipe is discolored. It looks kind of like a rainbow...as if it has over heated. This discoloration is on the downwind side of the pipe.

If I didnt know better I would think you took a pic of my chimney. No worries, burn on !

Totally normal. No worries. Rick

It is still best to get up there and clean it.....with a toothbrush.

Yep, identical to mine. Supervent too.

It will wash off in the Summer. Mine starts out in the Fall nice and shinny for about a week.

fdegree said:

Thanks for posting. I have been burning my new setup for about a month and noticed the chimney cap discoloring. Now I feel better too. cvbnccn

N6CRV said:
It will wash off in the Summer. Mine starts out in the Fall nice and shinny for about a week.
went up for my fall cleaning thinking i would have to give he cap some attention and nope even the inside wias spotless. rain washed everything up nice for me.

I have a new stainless steel chimney. My stainless has discolored inside the house on the pipe that goes thru the wall is that normal. The temp guage I have on the pipe hasn't shown over firing.

Dolores

That I am unsure of. Mine is not discolored where it goes through the wall. I would ask a professional to take a look

Mind is same though darker. Funny cause I was outside this afternoon, when I normally am sleeping (I work at night) and I noticed it as well. I was thinking maybe I should just paint the whole thing black and wouldn't be able to tell.

Chimney sweep was just here yesterday because I was having trouble getting the fire hot enough for the CAT to engage. Now that's going ok but the pipe discolored. Wish I knew exactly when it discolored. I think it was this morning. This is a short piece that goes from the cast iron of the stove to the insulated pipe in the wall. Only about a 6" piece. I'll call the sweep. I'm sure he's getting tired of hearing from me

Dolores

if per chance you take a piece of stainless (304L) and heat it with a torch. discoloration will begin around 600*F. this is more a 'straw' color. after that it begins to change to hues of blue and indigo,indicating higher temperatures. this is mostly due to oxidation of the metal, in particular the chrome thats in stainless. if memory serves its like 11% chromium.

your case, i doubt you see such a temp at the top of your stack. more or less you have some wind that will whip around one side of the chimney (opposite the coloration's) which leaves a void or pocket of air space behind it. (round objects anyhow) this could be a spot for hot smoke to collect. the smoke could, or is more or less causing the oxidation. I say that because if it was pure heat the discoloration, it would turn brown in the weather, evidence of further oxidation due to chorme thats benn 'burned away', removed or changed.

i wouldnt worry, those colors are half the reason stainless is such an interesting alloy. chemistry or rather metallurgy at work.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is still best to get up there and clean it.....with a toothbrush.

Now that's just not right :)

A week after installing ours, it had a dark film on the bonnet too. Son climbed up there on a ladder and stuck his finger in it. He came back into the house and wanted us to smell his finger. It was simply woodsmoke that had stuck to the pipe. The bad thing is that it smelled so good. It was just like the smell of a smoked bbq and it was about to starve us all to death wanting some. I would have to say, I have never heard of someone getting hungry because of burning a wood stove.

darste2 said:
Chimney sweep was just here yesterday because I was having trouble getting the fire hot enough for the CAT to engage. Now that's going ok but the pipe discolored. Wish I knew exactly when it discolored. I think it was this morning. This is a short piece that goes from the cast iron of the stove to the insulated pipe in the wall. Only about a 6" piece. I'll call the sweep. I'm sure he's getting tired of hearing from me

Dolores

Dolores,

So what was the problem with your setup? Did he add to the chimney height to get a better draft, or was there an issue with the stove?

No problem, I just wasn't adding enough wood to build a really good bed of coals. We had two chimney fires with an old defiant that has us a little gun shy of too hot fires. But, he helped with that. I can control the burn. I just had to trust that. It doesn't go out of control. I think its a good stove.

We got a used Quadra fire for our place in NY. Now that is some stove. This VC is a little more tricky. Don't fully understand the CAT even though I've read all about it.

Dolores

darste2 said:
No problem, I just wasn't adding enough wood to build a really good bed of coals. We had two chimney fires with an old defiant that has us a little gun shy of too hot fires. But, he helped with that. I can control the burn. I just had to trust that. It doesn't go out of control. I think its a good stove.

We got a used Quadra fire for our place in NY. Now that is some stove. This VC is a little more tricky. Don't fully understand the CAT even though I've read all about it.

Dolores
I see...thanks for explaining.

I ordered a new Blaze King king parlor...I can't wait to try it out!

boatboy63 said:
A week after installing ours, it had a dark film on the bonnet too. Son climbed up there on a ladder and stuck his finger in it. He came back into the house and wanted us to smell his finger. It was simply woodsmoke that had stuck to the pipe. The bad thing is that it smelled so good. It was just like the smell of a smoked bbq and it was about to starve us all to death wanting some. I would have to say, I have never heard of someone getting hungry because of burning a wood stove.

Hehheh . . . I learned a long time ago though to NOT smell a person's finger when they come up to you and say, "Hey, smell my finger!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.