Load of logs showed up today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deere10 said:
Showed up at 8am for me today. Load of Hard Maple,Cherry,Hickory,and Ash. Wood for 2012-2013. Should end up approx 10-12 cord.

Just a big load of fun.
& several months of serious heat of course.
CSS pictures of that would be nice too :)
Enjoy

I am certain that was like Christmas all over again when the truck pulled in. 800 for that load is a great deal!

Beginning to look into it myself as I do nit think I will have the time to scrounge around for my wood. Will kill me to have to pay for it, but c'est la vie!

ironworker said:
This is what I get for $600, but looking for new source, PM sent

Iron:
How much when CSS.
My guess 5 to 6 cords.
Be fun to work a load like that into splits. No travel time is nice. :)

ironworker said:
bogydave said:
ironworker said:

Iron:
How much when CSS.
My guess 5 to 6 cords.
Closer to 8-9

WOW, Great price :)

bogydave said:
ironworker said:
bogydave said:
ironworker said:

Iron:
How much when CSS.
My guess 5 to 6 cords.
Closer to 8-9

WOW, Great price :)

Ya! That is a great deal! $600 is production cost on a load like that!

Yeah I think I'd give up hauling my wood all the way from the familys farm for that price.

north of 60 said:
1st trailer pup 3 logs up and 3 over
That's what I thought I saw when I first looked at the full-size image. Is that one log, with the light-colored sapwood and the dark heartwood? If so, that looks to be 30+ inches for sure...what kind of wood is that?

OhioBurner© said:
Yeah I think I'd give up hauling my wood all the way from the familys farm for that price.
No you wouldn't. It's too much fun...probably a tradition by now. And family wood burns better! :cheese:

So my question is how do you then cut the logs up? Presumable the truck puts them in a big pile? Do you drag them off the pile one log at a time to cut up on the ground or do you just work away at the pile? Just kind of picturing all kinds of kick back scenarios trying to cut logs piled onto other logs? Would like to get a grapple load myself when the finances allow it but was wondering about how I would chunk them up. Got all my wood for this year and next traveling to peoples sites and cutting and hauling it this year and while its nice and warm in my house because of it I didn't fish much this summer and still have nightmares about a big oak that I slayed but that damn near slayed me first:) (picture chainsaw, rolling chunks into trailer in the sun with 90f+ temps:) Not getting younger so not sure how many of those battles I have left in me:) Ahh those were the days hehe

ruserious2008 said:
So my question is how do you then cut the logs up? Presumable the truck puts them in a big pile? Do you drag them off the pile one log at a time to cut up on the ground or do you just work away at the pile? Just kind of picturing all kinds of kick back scenarios trying to cut logs piled onto other logs? Would like to get a grapple load myself when the finances allow it but was wondering about how I would chunk them up. Got all my wood for this year and next traveling to peoples sites and cutting and hauling it this year and while its nice and warm in my house because of it I didn't fish much this summer and still have nightmares about a big oak that I slayed but that damn near slayed me first:) (picture chainsaw, rolling chunks into trailer in the sun with 90f+ temps:) Not getting younger so not sure how many of those battles I have left in me:) Ahh those were the days hehe
I put mine on a small incline then start cutting which ever ones are easiest, the outside ones then the ends, I use a 5' pry bar and a timberjack to roll them down hill, and the ones that can't be moved I get my truck and some 1" manilla line.
003-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

It's not as dangerous as it looks, logs don't roll more than 1 turn before they stop, but you still gotta pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.