Loading the stove with blocks of hardwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blueox4

Nov 20, 2017
Syracuse, NY area
1AF6DE33-3FCE-4810-8F6D-13C98557CFC4.jpeg 486A336A-9F3B-4EDB-9E6D-20EE35681E84.jpeg
My neighbor builds Amish sheds and gave me a couple truckloads of these hardwood scraps. Some of the pieces are too big for the 21” firebox in my insert so I plan on cutting them down a bit but most of them are small to medium sized blocks of kiln dried oak and ash that will fit nicely I think in my insert. Will these burn the same way as regular splits as far as stove temps? Should I use less of these in the stove? I don’t want any runaway issues and just figured I’d ask here. This is my first season burning wood. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 229655 View attachment 229656 My neighbor builds Amish sheds and gave me a couple truckloads of these hardwood scraps. Some of the pieces are too big for the 21” firebox in my insert so I plan on cutting them down a bit but most of them are small to medium sized blocks of kiln dried oak and ash that will fit nicely I think in my insert. Will these burn the same way as regular splits as far as stove temps? Should I use less of these in the stove? I don’t want any runaway issues and just figured I’d ask here. This is my first season burning wood. Thank you!

Is that wood treated or untreated?

Reactions: Blueox4
If they're super dry, then they might burn faster than your average firewood. But the shape of them will let them fit together tighter, which will slow things down. Burn them and see how it goes.

i have burned many a full Fireview with similar oak blocks. They were at least 4 years seasoned and checked to some wear near 15% . This is for my overnight burns in the coldest nights. Make sure to get them burning and a good char before turning down the air to prevent back puffing. Your temps should be similar to most burns just longer.

Start small and build up. Moister content, surface area and loading style (tossed in vs stacked) will change everything. First year burning is the toughest. Learn the stove, learn the fuel and prepare for the unexpected. And most of all, enjoy a well running stove pumping out the heat that only a wood burner can do.

No joke. - start with half of a stove load and build up till you are running in the parameters that the stove was designed for.

Nice score on that firewood! No bark is a good thing. I used to work for a railroad crosstie producer. Great firewood if it’s seasoned. If not, stack it for next year

We see allot of that type of wood here and if it is really kiln dried enough it will be fine. But if it needs dried it is very hard to stack in a way that allows it to dry.

Reactions: Blueox4 and Slocum
Maybe just mix it in with your regular wood. A stove packed with all square blocks might be problematic.