Loading unit Not Pumping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
Good Morning All.

So I went to fire up the Varm yesterday for the first time this season (oil has been cheap and I needed to make some mods to my storage). Got a little heat in the boiler and ceramics, and noticed my inlet temps were still really low. The motor on my loading unit was hot, but it was pretty clear I wasnt getting any pumping.

I see there is a plug on the end of the motor (its a Grundfos circ pump), and if I open it I get a little water out, but Im not clear what it is that Im looking at otherwise. Looks like maybe a slot for a screw driver? Should that spin if the pump should be off?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Did you get my message?

Yes, give that thing under the plug a little poke/twist. Shouldn't take much at all.

EDIT: When it happened to me, I found info about doing this in a Grundfos manual. Forget which one, I found it pretty quick with Google. But by reading that manual, it seemed it wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

EDIT again: Found it on my HD, in a 15-58 install manual. It also said after a long shut down that the pump should be started in speed 3.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/check-yer-pumps.146986/

Last edited:
Did you get my message?

Yes, give that thing under the plug a little poke/twist. Shouldn't take much at all.

EDIT: When it happened to me, I found info about doing this in a Grundfos manual. Forget which one, I found it pretty quick with Google. But by reading that manual, it seemed it wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

EDIT again: Found it on my HD, in a 15-58 install manual. It also said after a long shut down that the pump should be started in speed 3.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/check-yer-pumps.146986/

Yup, got it! Going to put some meat on the smoker and then give it a shot to see if I can get things moving. Thanks for the quick reply!

Success!

Took more force than I thought it would to break that sucker loose, and a smaller screw driver. Im sure they made it small so you couldnt use a big guy to reef on it. Boiler is humming away now and finally getting up to temp!

Reactions: maple1
Since I used a regular wall plug for power cord to my loading unit, I remove the 4 screws holding the motor to the pump body. Then plug the sucker in and give a nudge to get her spinning. Let it run for 15-20 seconds just holding it in my hand. Those little pump motors must be VERY precise. In my case I attribute it to the boiler water treatment firming up in the tight clearances (may just be hard water). Now I try to remember to run the loading units every few months for a few minutes during the off season. I need to check to see if ours has a plug on the end. Anyway, pretty cool to see that little pump running in your hand.