Local stove dealer way over MSRP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tored1971

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2007
Eastern PA
Happy Thanksgiving all!!

This is my first post here although I have been a lurker here for the past 2 weeks.
There is a wealth of info here.

Here is my question.
I am looking to buy a Vermont Castings Defiant Catalytic stove in chestnut brown enamel.
I saw the MSRP on this stove is $2049.
I went to a dealer yesterday to get a price quote and he quoted me a price of $2699!
I don't mind paying a fair price for a product but $650 over MSRP is crazy.

What is a fair price for this model stove?

I also have a late 70's VC Defiant that I want to sell.
It is in excellent condition, what is a fair selling price for the stove?

Thank for listening, Phil

Up to 200 extra would be reasonable for shipping costs. I'd go in armed with msrp and my bargaining hat and see what you can do.

Well, first, find another dealer. If you are picking it up, you have leverage.
Or, tell him fine, but that price is so far over MSRP it includes delivery and setup: right?
Finally, the CAT stove is a good choice!

Any other dealers in the area? If so, go back and forth til they come down where you want.

The $2699 price does not include delivery and install.
He wants $695 to deliver, remove old stove, install new stove and
take my old stove to sell on consignment, which he will also get a cut from the selling price.

Can anyone tell me if $2049 is the actual MSRP?

I want to go to other shops with the correct fact and figures.

Thanks, Phil

For that price I'd pick up the stove and install it myself, and put the old stove in the classifieds. What about a local chimney sweep if your not comfortable with installing.

Check with [email protected] ask him what the stove MSRP is and what he would sell it to you for.

Part of the problem is you're shopping right in the meat of stove season. The supply/demand equation is working against you now.

My experience has been; if you want a good deal, you need to buy in the off season, or out of town/state, or both.

precaud said:
Part of the problem is you're shopping right in the meat of stove season. The supply/demand equation is working against you now.

My experience has been; if you want a good deal, you need to buy in the off season, or out of town/state, or both.

I understand what you are saying but $650 over MSRP is crazy in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming, Phil

tored1971 said:
Oh I totally agree, but the seasonal/market realities can't be ignored.
Examples: Two years ago I bought my F602 in November from the local dealer and had to pay $999 for it. That's an insane price for that stove. And probably the last time I'll buy a new one locally.
Last year I wanted a Quad 2100M in November. Local dealers wanted $1350, and didn't stock it. I saved more than 30% by buying it in Colorado. And not having to pay sales tax more than covered the freight cost.

I try to never buy during peak demand if I can avoid it. So far it's worked. I have saved 25-35% by buying stoves off season. Walk into a stove dealer's showroom in July when it's 85 outside and they are ready to deal.

Things to investigate. Is $2000 and change list for a flat black one and this one is enameled? Is a optional heat shield on this one? And on and on and on.

lol i had a post the other day where i guy was asking 1000 more than another .... with oil going the way it is i guess people wanna try to GOUGE (SP)

tored1971 said:
Happy Thanksgiving all!!

I looked at the VC site and didn't see any MSRPs? And Googled a few places and no one had prices up. May I ask, where did you see the MSRP?

Happy TG Day,
Jim

swestall said:
.Defiant Catalytic
[1945] $2,229.00
Vermont Castings
Defiant Wood Stove
X-Large, *Catalytic, EPA, Cast Iron Woodstove!
$2,229.00 Classic Black finish
$39 shipping to your door
http://www.homefirehearth.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23_49_52&products_id=188

This pretty much says it all....

Thanks for the link and also at the bottom of that page it states add another $370.00 smackeroos for Brown. So that brings it up to the $2600.00 range.

We often bad mouth retailers but before we do we should really shop around... sometimes bad information causes us to fly off the handle.

So it really sounds like this retailer is selling at the going price...MY MY!!!!

Happy Thankgiving,
J&K;

Jim Walsh said:
swestall said:
.Defiant Catalytic
[1945] $2,229.00
Vermont Castings
Defiant Wood Stove
X-Large, *Catalytic, EPA, Cast Iron Woodstove!
$2,229.00 Classic Black finish
$39 shipping to your door
http://www.homefirehearth.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23_49_52&products_id=188

This pretty much says it all....

Thanks for the link and also at the bottom of that page it states add another $370.00 smackeroos for Brown. So that brings it up to the $2600.00 range.

We often bad mouth retailers but before we do we should really shop around... sometimes bad information causes us to fly off the handle.

So it really sounds like this retailer is selling at the going price...MY MY!!!!Happy Thankgiving,
J&K;

I didn't bad mouth anyone.
I'm just trying to make sure I am getting quoted a fair price on a wood stove.
"fly off the handle" are you kidding me, I just had some questions that I wanted answered and this forum seemed like the place to go for the answers.

Thanks for the help guys, I hope you had a pleasent Thanksgiving....Phil

tored1971 said:
Happy Thanksgiving all!!
I went to a dealer yesterday to get a price quote and he quoted me a price of $2699!
I don't mind paying a fair price for a product but $650 over MSRP is crazy.
What is a fair price for this model stove?

You called the retailer CRAZY and you certainly didn't give the source of the MSRP.

You insinuated that the dealer wasn't giving you a "FAIR" quote.

From the GIST of your post you sounded very disgruntled and the whole thread reaked of possible wrong doings by dealers.

The bad thing that really happened is that you made others post replies based upon misinformation. You didn't write "I beleive" or "I think" but you said "I SAW" the MSRP. Isn't this misinformation?

tored1971 said:
precaud said:

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming, Phil

And here you make the dealer sound like he is price gouging!

If you weren't PO'd about the original quote the dealer gave you I doubt you would have posted the thread at all. Isn't that "flying off the handle"?

So Phil, please give the MSRP source and I will eat my CROW, and I am still stuffed from TURKEY. Also, I'll probably head right down to that dealer/source that gave you the $2,049.00 MSRP and save myself $650.00 smackeroos on a new VC Defiant.

Off my wood box,
-Jim-

BrotherBart said:
http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?superCatId=10&manId=1178&selected;_anId=&prodId=5806

Yep... and at the bottom of the page it states:

To confirm the information and pricing on this product, please contact Vermont at (800) 668-5323.

The stove shown is stated as "beige" and that is not offered by VC. Their colors are Choice of Classic Black or six enamel colors: Bordeaux, Biscuit, Midnight Blue Chestnut Brown,Ebony Black and Vermont Classic Green; plus four special order colors; Granite Gray, Sage Green, Country Cookware Gray and Brick Blue.

I called and am awaiting a call back.

Jim Walsh said:
Off my wood box,
-Jim-
Ummm... why do you even care about this?

Some fights aren't worth fighting. This is one of them.

I say drop it, and welcome Phil to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.