Lockwood Bio Fuel bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of btu output you getting? i know that could be a tough one but hows it compair to a good hardwood? Would you run them on a 0 degree night? (High winds of course)
We haven't tried yet, still a the proposal stage. For the BTU content, we estimate we wont be far from the OMAFRA biomass factsheet : http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/engineer/facts/11-033.htm
Most of these values have been verified at the NRC lab in Ottawa.
For the draft issues, we plan on getting our hands on a boiler that has a draft fan as well as fan pushing air in the primary-secondairy chambers. A lot of the smaller EKO owners seems to be happy without a fan, but I cant see how we could do our trial without them.
Trex83

Reactions: smokinj
As far as the price is concerned, yeah, they are a lot more expensive the cordwood, but how much would you pay for the mythical "well seasoned and ready to burn" stuff?:)
The focus is using the grown biomass in another application than co-firing with coal, which is the current movement in my area. If the co-firing option drop out, where and how can we use the locally grown stuff? Hopefully one of the options is using it in downdraft gasifiers.
Obviously, we will probably have to pay a premium to get our hands on various biomass. We are filling in a proposal for the trial.
Thanks for your interest!
Trex83

The focus is using the grown biomass in another application than co-firing with coal, which is the current movement in my area. If the co-firing option drop out, where and how can we use the locally grown stuff? Hopefully one of the options is using it in downdraft gasifiers.
Obviously, we will probably have to pay a premium to get our hands on various biomass. We filling in a proposal for the trial.
Thanks for your interest!
Trex83
Good point...

Status
Not open for further replies.