Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Someone has a dead Locust he is taking down and offering it for free. Is that easy to split?
How much wood is in this tree?
00X0X_f848BmEW10T_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky you. The locust we have split was relatively straight grained and easy to split when green.

If it's dead all the way through then it may be ready for next season's heating. Though it will depend on starting inner moisture content and how dry or wet the next summer is in NJ. Out here I might be burning that wood next fall.

Someone has a dead Locust he is taking down and offering it for free. Is that easy to split?
How much wood is in this tree?
View attachment 235021

If you have a splitter it shouldn't be that bad.. some of it may be a little twisted but i certainly wouldn't pass it up as far as drying it depends on what the moisture content of the tree is right now but whatever it is grab it because free wood is the best wood

...... score.....

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
If you have a splitter it shouldn't be that bad.. some of it may be a little twisted but i certainly wouldn't pass it up as far as drying it depends on what the moisture content of the tree is right now but whatever it is grab it because free wood is the best wood

...... score.....
I already contacted the owner. Looking at the picture, can you guess how much is in there? Yes, I have a 20+ ton splitter.

I already contacted the owner. Looking at the picture, can you guess how much is in there? Yes, I have a 20+ ton splitter.

Not even a cord.. in say .75 cord.. this dose not include the branches and small stuff I would say you're going to be okay with 20-ton depending on the wedge design I have a 22 ton and it pretty much goes through anything I've split stuff close to 40 inch in diameter with it.. you'll be okay and if you run into any issues give me a shout I'm not that far from you

Ive only come across locust twice. It was all twisted grain and put up a good fight breaking it down into burnable pieces. It's worth the effort I love locust, hot dense wood, I'll never turn it down. Watch out for thornes though some species can be brutal.

Not even a cord.. in say .75 cord.. this dose not include the branches and small stuff I would say you're going to be okay with 20-ton depending on the wedge design I have a 22 ton and it pretty much goes through anything I've split stuff close to 40 inch in diameter with it.. you'll be okay and if you run into any issues give me a shout I'm not that far from you
Thanks. I will keep you posted.

I'd say a good 1/2 cord. That's 3" and up. If it's ben dead for some time then if it's split within the next few months, by next fall a fair chance it will be dry enough.

Reactions: jaoneill
This looks like a sweet deal.
  • Tree is already dropped ( less risk for you)
  • Easy access - looks like you can back your truck right up to it.
  • It's one of the best local firewoods around this area.
  • The amount of firewood 1/2 to 3/4 cord.
As for splitting - easier or no harder then other woods.

So do not wait - go get it before someone changes there mind or someone else get it.

I hand split some locust earlier this year and it split like a dream. Drying might take a while. I had Doug fir and locust split and stacked from January to the end of September this year - the fir finished at 15-18% and the locust was still at 35-38%.

The Locust guy called me back just now. He said he also has a Pine, an Elm and a Maple to take down.
I told him, keep the Elm, I will take the rest. Will probably do it the week after next. On Sunday I will leave on a business trip. Oh my!

Take it all, your splitter will take care if the elm.

Merry Christmas. I don't know about Yankee locust but down South all the locust trees died 15 years ago.
If it has been dead a while it is ready to burn. Best firewood available even better than oak.

Easy to split with a maul.

Well, I have read some horror stories on here that Elm is a real difficult tree to split.
It is by hand but with a 20 ton splitter I wouldn't worry about it, its decent firewood. I had a guy near me that would contact me when he cut a tree down to clear for a garden, he take whatever he dropped.

It is by hand but with a 20 ton splitter I wouldn't worry about it, its decent firewood. I had a guy near me that would contact me when he cut a tree down to clear for a garden, he take whatever he dropped.
Not worried. I think when I split it when below freezing it might be okay. But I have watched some videos that made me think twice.

Well, I have read some horror stories on here that Elm is a real difficult tree to split.

Depends . . . if it's been dead for a bit it can actually split rather easily with a splitter. If it's alive it is often stringy and can sometimes prove to be a challenge, but if you have a splitter you should be OK. I burn a fair amount of elm and like it for burning.