Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
My neighbor has this stack in his back yard and it looks a little like locust but I cannot confirm and he has no idea. What say the wood experts?
Locust.jpg

my thought also but colors over the net and monitors get a bit off. it's possible it could be honey locust but it is usually pink to lite red on an end cut. Then turns black after quite a bit of exposure to sun and elements.

It does have that maple heart wood spalt stain to it.

chestnut oak ?
It looks like thick, ridged bark.
Any pics: leaves ? closeup of split wood ?

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
chestnut oak ?
It looks like thick, ridged bark.
Any pics: leaves ? closeup of split wood ?
That's along the lines I am thinking and want to see a split piece of the grain and closer shot of the bark, it looks very solid and thick barked like you said.

Not locust.

I'd also guess sugar maple. Are they heavy?

Vote for chestnut oak. Just cut and split a down one from behind the house. They are the only significantly large oaks in my woods left by the loggers 10 years ago.

I also vote maple

Definitely not locust. My first guess was white oak. Need to seen splits and end grain.

I think I know what it might be.
Let us know how it splits by hand.

You thinking the logs shown are cottonwood :) Not so bad with the splitter but there are other sources of wood first before I go after these.

I can't make out from the pic, but I was thinking it might be sweetgum.
Easy to rule out if it's not - sweetgum is real tough to split.