Log 12 ID please. Believe it's an Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
This one has a pink coloring on the ends. Kind of purdy!! Different than the others though. Is this yet another species of ash or something totaly different altogether?

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3013rl12.jpg
    DSCN3013rl12.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3014rl12.jpg
    DSCN3014rl12.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN3015rl12.jpg
    DSCN3015rl12.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN3016rl12.jpg
    DSCN3016rl12.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN3017rl12.jpg
    DSCN3017rl12.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3018rl12.jpg
    DSCN3018rl12.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN3019rl12.jpg
    DSCN3019rl12.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN3020rl12.jpg
    DSCN3020rl12.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3021rl12.jpg
    DSCN3021rl12.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN3022rl12.jpg
    DSCN3022rl12.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: ScotO
Looks like a nice piece of ash, but I'm no ash expert!

Wishin there were leaves...

Kind of looks like ash but the bark is thicker and the center is a bit darker than any of the ash, white or blue, that I have. But the same type of trees can look different from one to another and form area to area. Leaves or a twig would be nice...==c

Sorry, no leaves on this one. It was part of a grapple load I had brought in.

I believe you are right.
Ash

I don't know. Sorry. I haven't cut much Ash so I only know what the outside of the trees look like, not the inside.

For sure Ash!

That's an ash, hands down. Some ash has a darker heartwood, not sure if it's from an upper branch wound or other reason, but I've seen dark heart in lots of the ash I've cut. Thats one of my favorite all-around woods. I have a heap of that and red/silver maple stacked off the back porch that's been in the big stacks seasoning for over 2 years. I'm using it right now and it is great stuff!!

Grasshopper Bruce, you have not learned the lesson that Sensai has taught you; look for the little pinhole on the center of the cutside of the wood and it will reveal to you that it is indeed the species known as Ash....;lol

"Wax on, wax off.....wax on, wax off"....

Grasshopper Bruce, you have not learned the lesson that Sensai has taught you; look for the little pinhole on the center of the cutside of the wood and it will reveal to you that it is indeed the species known as Ash....;lol

"Wax on, wax off.....wax on, wax off"....

Ha, ha!:) . I did see that Mr. Miyagi, but the pink/red coloring made me question it.

Green Ash is darker than White Ash and the wood is not as heavy, its easy to burn and gives off good BTU's, maybe similar to Cherry. Yep Green Ash.

Some ash has a darker heartwood, not sure if it's from an upper branch wound or other reason, but I've seen dark heart in lots of the ash I've cut.
That's what's throwing me; All the Ash I've cut recently (White,) none has had dark heartwood.
Sorry, no leaves on this one. It was part of a grapple load I had brought in.
This is too hard; Next grapple load you get, have him tape a branch with leaves to each log. ==c

I could post pictures of white ash vs green ash if that would be of any help.

I have never cut an ash like that but the stright grain tells me it sure could be ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.