Log Dolly, Dolly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTS

Nov 6, 2015
Northern Nevada
I got this with some scrap iron that I was given. Don't know what its original purpose was, but it works great for getting the larger logs home easily. Just had to weld a half ring on each side for the come-along hooks.

DSCN1079.JPG

I built this log dolly out of scrap. The spindles and tires came from a parts tractor front end. I had some pipe and a piece of rail the right length. I have one more tree left and when that is done I will no longer have any use for the log dolly, Good thing is I now have plenty of wood, and I hope that I live long enough to burn it all.

DSCN0486.jpg

On this log, I was going to put the butt end in the log skidder. The butt end was against the stump, and I needed to move it to be able to back the log skidder over it. I could lift it with the loader but didn't have enough ass to back up, tires just spun. So I rolled the little dolly under the butt end. It worked fine. Just like pulling a trailer, no load on the tractor at all.

DSCN1092.JPG

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
You're out of trees? No wonder the girl in your avatar is cradling that round like it was a baby! ;) How much do you burn in a typical season? How much do you have stacked?

You're out of trees? No wonder the girl in your avatar is cradling that round like it was a baby! ;) How much do you burn in a typical season? How much do you have stacked?

Yep, those are the last of the standing dead. I have a couple acres of trees that I skidded in. I still have to limb them and stack the logs.
I'll do a walk thru of them with my camera. I think I burn about 2 cords. I've don't have any splits stacked. I do have a pile of rounds and if I need some splits I go sit on a round with a hammer and splitting wedge and split me enough for a couple weeks at a time. I don't split anything under 6 inch and I have a lot of that.

The lady in the avatar is the Log Lady, from the 90's TV series Twin Peaks.

The thing I liked about the show was the intro. It shows circular and band saws being sharpened at the mill. Also a nice one log load on a flat car.
About the first 1:10.

Last edited:
I have to ask. How many trees were there when you started?

There were about 25 trees standing or fallen dead along that fence line. I also got a few from a neighbor, he doesn't heat with wood. He's had a few blow downs and he skids them over to my place with his backhoe.
I'll video those trees and maybe you guys can estimate how many cords I have.

Last edited:
Holy desert.... Great ingenuity! Looks like it will serve you well. Around here you would have to put tail lights with working brake lights, register it with the state, and pay taxes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.