Log ID 11, How About Two Red Oaks now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
Even bigger than the last one!

Attachments

• DSCN3002rl11.jpg
    DSCN3002rl11.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3004rl11.jpg
    DSCN3004rl11.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3005rl11.jpg
    DSCN3005rl11.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN3006rl11.jpg
    DSCN3006rl11.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN3007rl11.jpg
    DSCN3007rl11.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN3009rl11.jpg
    DSCN3009rl11.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3008rl11.jpg
    DSCN3008rl11.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN3010rl11.jpg
    DSCN3010rl11.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN3011rl11.jpg
    DSCN3011rl11.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN3012rl11.jpg
    DSCN3012rl11.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 103
I have wood floors that look just like that. Thats good stuff right there.

RED OAK

Reactions: ScotO
Ive been away awile, what did you get a grapple load? Looks like you got a lot of good wood for future burning. Ive been to your town for work a few times, nice little town I never knew about.

Very nice.

Red Oak and the other is Red or Maybe Black Oak. Notice the first log has shiny raised ridges - very characteristic of Northern Red Oak. The second has more of a tire tread pattern that looks to me like Black Oak, and it also has orange inner bark (you can see the inner bark near the bottom of the log) that is characteristic of Black Oak. The second one I am not sure - could also be Red Oak. The large, thin leaves in the first picture are Northern Red Oak.

Red Oak and the other is Red or Maybe Black Oak. Notice the first log has shiny raised ridges - very characteristic of Northern Red Oak. The second has more of a tire tread pattern that looks to me like Black Oak, and it also has orange inner bark (you can see the inner bark near the bottom of the log) that is characteristic of Black Oak. The second one I am not sure - could also be Red Oak. The large, thin leaves in the first picture are Northern Red Oak.
Okay, I'm begining to get some of this. Thanks Duck!

I say black oak, and or aka pin. This is my understanding of Pin black oak. Loggers re-name pin to black oak because it was easier to market. Red oak I have done has deep crack bark. Your log is pretty smooooth! Here is another red. One thing for sure is a red will eat up chains even when done to perfection! ==c

zz.jpg

Attachments

• 10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Bacffin
Pin Oak and Black Oak are two different trees. Pin has leaves with deep sinuses between the lobes, and the bark is different than Black Oak, more like Red Oak bark. The leaves of a Black Oak are similar to the leaves of a Red Oak but shinier, thicker, and usually smaller at least around here.

The bark on the lower trunk of that huge Red Oak smokin J is cutting looks like the lower trunks of huge Red Oaks here. With really big oaks the bark on the lower trunk looks different than the usual bark on more average sized trees of the same species.

Pin Oak and Black Oak are two different trees. Pin has leaves with deep sinuses between the lobes, and the bark is different than Black Oak, more like Red Oak bark. The leaves of a Black Oak are similar to the leaves of a Red Oak but shinier, thicker, and usually smaller at least around here.

The bark on the lower trunk of that huge Red Oak smokin J is cutting looks like the lower trunks of huge Red Oaks here. With really big oaks the bark on the lower trunk looks different than the usual bark on more average sized trees of the same species.

The bigger one was down over two years and 56 inchs across (both reds for sure wished they where not). I still have have it stack.;) Let me see what you know about the wood grain (Lumbar that is) of black vs pin are they both wide swooping grain? (This would be looking at a board)

Reactions: Thistle
Yes they are,not as much in northern climates cause of narrow rings & shorter growing season.Unless its in open area,growth rate will be faster then. Further south the rings are normally quite a bit wider.

Yes they are,not as much in northern climates cause of narrow rings & shorter growing season.Unless its in open area,growth rate will be faster then. Further south the rings are normally quite a bit wider.

I have seen some selling what they called black oak. I darn sure knew it was pin. Guess that could be why I got the story. Makes since now and, I did not buy!

I'd never heard of claiming black and pin oak are the same. But pin and red and black are still commonly called red oak. They are in the same family.

I have seen some selling what they called black oak. I darn sure knew it was pin. Guess that could be why I got the story. Makes since now and, I did not buy!

Even after being around the stuff 30+ yrs,I cant tell Northern Red from Black from Northern Pin in lumber form (unless I was the one cutting the tree lol) Black Oak does have orangeish-yellow inner bark though,was used decades ago along with bark from certain White Oaks & American Chestnut for tanning hides & leather.That's easy to spot,even for me haha...

Even after being around the stuff 30+ yrs,I cant tell Northern Red from Black from Northern Pin in lumber form (unless I was the one cutting the tree lol) Black Oak does have orangeish-yellow inner bark though,was used decades ago along with bark from certain White Oaks & American Chestnut for tanning hides & leather.That's easy to spot,even for me haha...

I can spot pin lumber from a mile. Theses guys had a booth selling slabs and the sign said black oak. I said BS. then I got that story...lol That was 8-10 years ago never seeing anything but white red and pin it made since for awhile! :rolleyes:

I'd never heard of claiming black and pin oak are the same. But pin and red and black are still commonly called red oak. They are in the same family.

I was tricked by the southernman! Suxer was selling pin I know that for a fact. Guess he wanted me out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.