Log Load ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
Got this pic from home:

IMG_7755.jpg

The brown spot n the middle has me worried that its sweetgum, but Ive seen in another ID thread that some maple has that spot too. Can anyone tell what this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like sweetgum to me, at least the stuff I've seen. I don't recall it having that much color in the wood. Where the bark is damaged on this tree looks reddish (maybe?) and I've never seen sweetgum like that.

But I'm no use in figuring out what it is.

OP, I take that back. After looking again, it is absolutely sweetgum. Stuff is terrible to burn. Even worse to split. Not worth the trouble.

Because I am a nice guy and live close by, I will take it off your hands. For free even. Just trying to help you out, let me know. ;)

Not for sure...........Norway Maple. Need better photos.

Reactions: Pellet_Pete
Looks sweetgum to me - those brown scrapes on the bark look similar to the sweetgum loads that loggers usually sell around here for pulp wood. Did you cut this tree yourself?

Looks sweetgum to me - those brown scrapes on the bark look similar to the sweetgum loads that loggers usually sell around here for pulp wood. Did you cut this tree yourself?

Nope, my tree guy dropped it off. I don't cut gum if I can help it :(

I'm pretty sure it's gum but I'll take pics when I get home. Or try to split a piece, that'll tell more !!!

Not for sure...........Norway Maple. Need better photos.
A couple of those look very much like Sweetgum bark....I'm not familiar with Norway Maple, but have a small one to take out at one of my SILs' new house.

Status
Not open for further replies.