Log splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum8

Apr 23, 2014
Mass
Hey guys. I've been cruising on here for a while trying to look for a decent log splitter and came across this one below on craigslist.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/4962688753.html

I value a lot of you guys's opinions and wanted to see what you thought about it. I've gone back-and-forth with a couple emails and he will let it go for $4300. I haven't been able to find much info on this brand log splitter and was also wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them.

Let me know your thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Lots of other choices at half that cost.

Hey guys. I've been cruising on here for a while trying to look for a decent log splitter and came across this one below on craigslist.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/4962688753.html

I value a lot of you guys's opinions and wanted to see what you thought about it. I've gone back-and-forth with a couple emails and he will let it go for $4300. I haven't been able to find much info on this brand log splitter and was also wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them.

Let me know your thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Looks like a good splitter, but upgraded from what most households have, well mine any way. I have a theory with equipment, buy the best you can afford, maintain it well. So far that has worked well for me. Trust your instincts,after checking it out in person

Reactions: rkusek
That unit is almost a kissing cousin to the Timberwolf TW5 with the added log lift. $4300 in the used market is not out of line considering the visual appearance of the unit (not beat to heck). You are looking at a commercial grade unit intended for pretty high production. Basically it is just one step under a small processor.

All that said - thatsallota money for a log splitter for home use. A "decent" log splitter could be had new for much less money. Its your money, but if the intent was to stay under 10 cords per year (128 cuft, per), this is like scratching your nose with a track hoe. A bit overkill.

Ultimately - what is your expected yearly production?

Thanks guys. For some reason I have my heart set on a hydraulic log lift. I do about 8 cord a year with my OWB. I do keep going back and forth with just getting this or a decent new splitter that does H/V. I was looking at the ariens 22 ton at Home Depot if I went that route.
As far as the hydraulic log lift. I was also looking at the timberwolf 2-HD which is the smallest I can get with the lift. That new with all the options was $6500.

What other equipment for moving heavy stuff do you already have if any? Me with real big rounds I use my tractor bucket with slings to pick the monster rounds up, down side is that that you mostly need to get them quartered before ya can get personal with them. So in that case I still have the halves to get back on that kind of lift. Depends on if your splitting on sight or at a specific place. I have larger equipment - forklift , tractor so big stuff there isn't a problem ( 80% done there) I can transport tractor so for me even with big stuff at home or on sight, I can get around it.

What other equipment for moving heavy stuff do you already have if any? Me with real big rounds I use my tractor bucket with slings to pick the monster rounds up, down side is that that you mostly need to get them quartered before ya can get personal with them. So in that case I still have the halves to get back on that kind of lift. Depends on if your splitting on sight or at a specific place. I have larger equipment - forklift , tractor so big stuff there isn't a problem ( 80% done there) I can transport tractor so for me even with big stuff at home or on sight, I can get around it.

Thanks blades. I don't have any equipment for moving things around. I do have the room for the cherry pickers so I just get log length dropped off here and cut everything up into 24" and roll them where needed.

That's a nice splitter, a little pricey for me, but if you can afford it, try it, worst case scenario is that its to much splitter for 8 cords of wood and you resell it again in the fall when people are looking for splitter and you get top dollar.

Reactions: Platinum8
Buy it and don't look back... That's less than half what it would go for new today. And there is a night and a day difference between that splitter and a box store splitter.

Thanks guys. For some reason I have my heart set on a hydraulic log lift

You don't have to sell me on a log lift...;)
100_1547sm.jpg

That's nice! Is it worth the extra $$?

Don't know. It cost me $50 for the electric lift and a little time. I built the whole unit. I don't even know what a lift option would cost for a factory built unit.

Don't know. It cost me $50 for the electric lift and a little time. I built the whole unit. I don't even know what a lift option would cost for a factory built unit.

On the timberwolf I was pricing out it was about an $850 option

On the timberwolf I was pricing out it was about an $850 option

So the log lift option comes in at the same price as a 22 ton log splitter?:eek:;lol

As the buyer - you would have to make the decision whether or not it was "worth it". On the other hand...log splitters do retain value better than most tools.

It looks like the throw is a bit on the short side. Make sure that your preferred length will fit.

If you screw up your back badly the cost could be infinite. It's easier than you think to screw up the disks in your spine. A few thousand for a log lift is definitely worth it if you have the coin.

Reactions: Seanm and Platinum8
After looking over the pictures, I personally would not get a unit like this. Just my personal opinion mind you, but there are two things that I like better in my splitter.

The first is the valve setup. It seems for each function there are two valves. So to return the stroke, it takes a different valve. I can not tell from looking, but if the return stroke is not self-returning, then you would have to stand there and hold it in the return position. On my unit to return you just push it back and it stays in the return position and pops into neutral when done, so you can be getting another round while it is returning. Over thousands of cycles, this saves a bunch of time. It would be a must-have for me.

The other question is the weight and balance. It looks like most of the weight is forward of the wheels. This would mean the tongue would be very heavy. My unit is balanced over the wheels. I can pick the tongue up with one hand and wheel it into the garage when I am done using it. This is very convenient for me.

If you are cutting big rounds, I like the vertical conversion feature. It takes about ten seconds to flip it.

100_1321.JPG 100_1323.JPG 100_1326.JPG

It seems for each function there are two valves.

Hmmm...I am pretty sure that is not how it works. One valve will run the ram (on a machine like this, possibly even an autocycle valve), another for the adjustable wedge, and yet another for the log lift. The 4th could be a power beyond port to run something like a conveyor (or simply unused).

After looking over the pictures, I personally would not get a unit like this. Just my personal opinion mind you, but there are two things that I like better in my splitter.

The first is the valve setup. It seems for each function there are two valves. So to return the stroke, it takes a different valve. I can not tell from looking, but if the return stroke is not self-returning, then you would have to stand there and hold it in the return position. On my unit to return you just push it back and it stays in the return position and pops into neutral when done, so you can be getting another round while it is returning. Over thousands of cycles, this saves a bunch of time. It would be a must-have for me.

The other question is the weight and balance. It looks like most of the weight is forward of the wheels. This would mean the tongue would be very heavy. My unit is balanced over the wheels. I can pick the tongue up with one hand and wheel it into the garage when I am done using it. This is very convenient for me.

If you are cutting big rounds, I like the vertical conversion feature. It takes about ten seconds to flip it.

View attachment 157133 View attachment 157134 View attachment 157135

Thanks. Good point. I did just ask about the self return feature. I'm not sure why there are 4. I know it does have a hydro wedge lift as well as the hydro log lift. I'm not sure if the wedge or log lift has a separate lever for other direction. I just shot him an email thou.
I don't plan on moving it around much but where I split isn't so level and a vertical splitter was a little struggle holding logs there until the wedge made contact. ( I borrowed a friends to see how I liked it)

It's a prince rd5000 auto cycle valve. The other valve is for the lift and wedge... Pretty basic setup on commercial quality splitters.

Last edited:
Jags
Do you have a battery on splitter to run the electric winch, or use a separate battery?

The splitter is an electric start, so I use a deep cycle battery for both the lift and the engine starter.

Thanks everyone for your input. Is there anything I should specifically look at when I get there in person on the machine? Never owed a splitter so I just want to have my ducks in a row and know what to look at for any signs of damage or near failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.