Log splitter for <$700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hi guys,

I got the green light to buy a log splitter if I can, but have a budget of $700.
Can anyone let me know if there is a splitter worth buying at that price?
I split about 3 cords a year and am not too close to a power supply so electrics are out (unless running a generator is really worth it).

Maybe someone here is aware of sales or something that are coming up? Cheapest I have currently seen is $999 at Lowe's for a 22-ton.

Thank you.

I would purchase a used splitter. I bought a "Brave" model. It is the residential version of the "Iron and Oaks" commercial splitter. It is made very stoutly. I paid $700 last year and this thing is a beast. 20 ton and I have not found a log I could not split! Found mine on Craigslist. Take care.

Reactions: chazcarr
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-log-splitter-61594.html
I can't vouch for the build of this unit. As a matter of fact I would have to see one in person before I owned one. This is the only new gas powered unit that I am aware of in your price range.

In the used market you might get a better deal for a quality machine, but log splitters seem to hold resale value that most other tools don't.

Tell the Finance Committee that Lowes is running 18 months interest-free if you sign up for their credit card. Works out to about $50/month over 18 months.
Then tell her how much more time you can devote to "projects for the house" when you no longer have to split by hand.
SLAM DUNK.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Tell the Finance Committee that Lowes is running 18 months interest-free if you sign up for their credit card. Works out to about $50/month over 18 months.
Then tell her how much more time you can devote to "projects for the house" when you no longer have to split by hand.
SLAM DUNK.
As long as I don't accidentally call her the Finance Committee that might work out. Haha

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Not sure how you decided to go, but I too have been in the market for a splitter. Budget was tight so I rounded up a bunch of stuff that was garage sale bound and listed it on eBay and made some extra $. That perked up my finance committee.

Anyhow, some posters were reporting that HD would take Harbor freight 20% or 25% off coupons for the ariens 22T which brings it down to the $800 range plus tax. Some did it online with HD some went to the store or multiple stores. Some managers did it quick some had to sweat it out or got 10% only. Might be worth a shot with your local HD.

Another thing I did for my husky gas push mower was get a guy in lawn and garden to check on returned models. He found me one 3 stores away that had sat there for 90+ days. I went to that store and the bagger was ripped. I don't care about bagging it's a mulching mower and I ended up talking Down the marked price by another 30%. I got it at 60% of retail . Just another angle to try if you can't get a New one those used ones out front / customer returns ARE negotiable in price!!

Got a used huskee with a Briggs 6.5hp for 700 last year. Thing is a beast
Spotless, no leaks and well maintained.
Keep your eye out on the side of the road.

Around here, finding a decent used splitter is very difficult. If one happens to appear on CL, it's gone in very short order.

IMO, the $999 DHT 22-ton splitter is the best entry level new splitter VALUE today. SpeeCo/Huskee/CountyLine 22-ton is in the same ballpark.

Reactions: Ashful
I would wait and buy the huskee 22 when you saved up enough, you will be happy.....

Reactions: TreePointer
The 3 I'm looking at:

HD - Ariens 22t w/Subaru -$1,199 (I can get at least 10% hopefully 25or20 HD coup)

TSC - countyline 22t w/Subaru $999 on sale (I don't think I can get any extra discounts)

Lowes - dHT 22t w/ Subaru $999 on sale (I can get 10% not sure if anyone has gotten them to honor HD 20\25%)

Any good opinions comparing all 3?

From what I've read the ariens 22T is the narrowest wheelbase for storage and for brand name and dealer network ariens has dealers in my area. I'm leaning towards them if I can get it at 999 or less. I've watched CL but personally I'd like to be buying at $500-$600 tips if going used, I realize splitters hold their value but I'd go new if I was only saving 10-15%.

Yeah I was heavily leaning towards the Harbour Freight 20 ton, but I have a lot of huge heavy rounds (the reason my splitting axe just wont do) and I think I need one that goes hor/vert just to save my back.

I personally wouldn't buy one that wasn't horizontal and vertical. I've split some huge rounds that would be impossible to pick up. Just my $0.02. The HF model would be good 90% of the time.

Reactions: jaoneill
I personally wouldn't buy one that wasn't horizontal and vertical

For home owner versions, I agree. As a blanket statement I disagree - A log splitter with a log lift and worktable is my choice - every time.

Reactions: kevin j
As others have said, $999 is where it's at. However, if I were still using only three cords per year, I'd still be splitting by hand. Swinging a maul while listening to the birds chirp and getting paid to exercise is much more enjoyable than hustling next to the drone of a splitter, IMO.

If you're set on buying a splitter, I'd delay until you can budget the extra $250.

Scored my MTD 22-ton on Craigslist for $500- IMHO, splitters are one of those things it's hardly worth buying new.

Reactions: jaoneill
Keep an eye on CL. Something will come up sooner or later. Otherwise pony up the extra cash and get the 22T Dirty Hand Tools splitter from Lowes. That would probably your best deal new. I was looking at that one myself but decided to go with the Ariens 22T.

On a side note there are a lot of places around here that rent splitters. You can get them for around $65/day. So if budget is a concern, that may be an option for you. Just get up early and split all day.

On a side note there are a lot of places around here that rent splitters. You can get them for around $65/day. So if budget is a concern, that may be an option for you. Just get up early and split all day.
That's what I used to do, when I was trying to process 14-16 cords per year by hand. I'd get thru 5-6 cords with the maul, and then rent a 22-ton high speed (6 second cycle) for a weekend to slam thru the balance / catch up. Hard on the body, for that kind of process volume, but definitely more efficient than I am with my 12-second'ish Huskee 22-ton.

Just curious why more people don't rent? Local Hertz dealer right next to work rents them for $80 starting Friday afternoon and bring back on Monday. I've been accumulating a big pile and just plan to dedicate a weekend to splitting. I may rent it 2x per year and I have to do 0 maintenance and 0 storage. It would take me 5 years before I got my money back, maybe longer.

Just curious why more people don't rent? Local Hertz dealer right next to work rents them for $80 starting Friday afternoon and bring back on Monday. I've been accumulating a big pile and just plan to dedicate a weekend to splitting. I may rent it 2x per year and I have to do 0 maintenance and 0 storage. It would take me 5 years before I got my money back, maybe longer.

1) Ability to split wood any time for as long or as short a duration as one wants . . . i.e. not having to rush. I typically buck up a bunch of wood and then split some and stack it vs. accumulating a large amount of bucked wood and then doing it all at once. If I have a free hour or so I might haul out the splitter some evening and work a bit at it.

2) Distance and accessibility to rental store. Closest place to rent a splitter for me would be 20-30 minutes away . . . and that's assuming on the day I would like to rent a splitter that no one else has reserved it.

3) Amount of wood expected to split. If you split up a lot of wood it may make more sense to own a splitter vs. renting a splitter if you only use a small amount.

That said . . . renting for many folks . . . is a very good option.

yeah I currently rent.
Not bad but the Depot is the only place I can rent from near me and the splitters are beaten to hell. Guy had to try 3 different ones before he found a working one. I was also thinking of getting rid of the truck and not being able to tow anymore. That would mean owning or having a rental delivered.

But mostly the reason for me is that I have a 17 month old daughter and another baby on the way in October and I just don't have the free time I used to and would like to be able to split some of these monster rounds I have whenever the moment is right.

The moment will cease being right in October. [emoji12]

<-- two young'uns at home, no spare moments

I think CL is your best option at 700 limit. HF has that 20T splitter with predator engine for under 700$. One home depot in my area had a customer returned cub cadet (MTD) 25T with a Honda engine for $980. I took a look at it and it looked like it was BEAT UP. lots of rust and scratches. The guy must have pulled it behind his truck all during a buffalo winter. Salt = corrosion. That being said you could try going to lowes, HD and having their CS desk check their lawn and garden returns the units sometimes get returned for no good reason and you might luck into something. I did that with my push mower and I was able to negotiate on the price, after I knew it was a return and they said make an offer its been here 4 months. Going strong 2 years later....

Did you decide on anything yet? Lowes has the DHT 22 ton for $999 plus a 10% off coupon you're at 900. I think you should take a hard look at that I realize it's $200 over budget but maybe you could get a shade more off and get a floor model or something, call around the lowes in your area, it's a really good splitter close to your budget

Did you decide on anything yet? Lowes has the DHT 22 ton for $999 plus a 10% off coupon you're at 900. I think you should take a hard look at that I realize it's $200 over budget but maybe you could get a shade more off and get a floor model or something, call around the lowes in your area, it's a really good splitter close to your budget

Haven't decided yet. Where is the 10% off coupon that everyone is talking about. Looked in the paper and couldn't find anything.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.