Log splitter in truck, loading/unloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
I had a bunch of wood that needed splitting, a friend was kind enough to let me borrow his Troy-Built 27 ton
log splitter:cool:. He lived too far away to safely tow it, so it had to be loaded in the truck bed. Here is what I came up with to make it easy to load it in the truck.

I put 2 pieces of 1.50 x 2.00 rectangular steel tubing in the front stake pockets, put a 4 X 4 with a Harbor Freight
cable winch behind the tubing. I used a tie down strap to hold the splitter about 20* from vertical, to get the correct balance. With this setup I was able to easily winch the splitter up the ramps.

DSCF1032 (Medium) (2).JPG DSCF1034.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1033 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1033 (Medium).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,838
Last edited by a moderator:
Good ol' Yankee ingenuity!

I installed the same boat wench on the front of my trailer. Makes getting anything into the trailer a lot easier.

Thanks for sharing your insightful solution for getting a splitter in the back of a ranger, to a fellow ranger owner.
I have splitting that needs to be done 5 hours away from where my splitter is sitting, and my only idea was using a long utility trailer to drive quad + splitter onto.
How bad did your truck squat with the splitter in there? (2wd I assume?)

Couple of planks and a hill to level it out fairly, makes for nice easy rolling in a pinch.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.