Log Splitter Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys & Gals! Hope you all had (some of you are probably still having) a nice & toasty winter.

My neck of the woods here in Long Island got hammered pretty good during Hurricane Sandy. I myself lost 4 good size red oak trees and everywhere around me there are plenty of large sections still on the ground. My neighbor gave me 4 of his oak trees, he was not going to use it. My neighborhood is still cleaning up and I'm taking some additional loads, its a shame to see whats being hauled away cause no one is taking it, there is just so much of it around.

In any case, I need to get a log splitter & was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions. I'v rented one in the past (a 27 ton Troybuilt), but I have so much wood that it doesnt make sense to rent anymore. A new Troy Built is going for $1,600.00 at the local dealer, I was hoping to keep it in the $1,200 hundred range, it comes with a Honda motor. Aside from the price I thought the unit, when I rented it was a fine piece of equipment.

Are there other brands/units I should/could be considering?
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

As a side note, there is still tons of wood to be had, I'm a little hesitant about taking more as people are telling me it will just start to rot, I thought if it was off the ground and covered it should be ok, is this a reasonable assumption?
You could also check lowes, sometimes they will have troybuilts that have come back and they sell them at a discount. By me on the south shore the oak has been cleaned up.

Honda has quite a following. However, I would not let that sway my decision on a splitter. When we bought out over 20 years ago we had a choice of B & S or Briggs and Stratton. ;) We took the B&S and so far, so good although a friend did his royal best to burn the engine up, but that is another story. When we have to replace the engine we'll probably go with either B&S or Honda depending on price.

So in over 20 years with a little 5 hp B&S engine running a 20 ton splitter, we could not be happier. Our repair cost so far on this splitter has been exactly $0.00 We are somewhere around 275-300 cord split so far.

Just to add most small engines today are good quality my snowblower has a B&S my lawn mower a B&S my splitter Subaru and my old mower a Honda all made very well and all fire up with one or two pulls max. Don't let the brand motor sway you just the CC or HP ratings. In fact more than a few member have Harbor Freight predator motors too and love them.

Pete

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. Did make it out to Lowes & they had the troys in stock for $1,399.00. The more I look around the more they all seem to be in the same ball park, price wise, regardless of seller. I hope to get something this weekend coming up (my friend has a trailer hitch, my wagon unfortunately does not), got to start splitting asap.

Pete thats a heck of a stack of wood!

Hi missedbass,
I've noticed that the south shore is much cleaner wood wise then the north shore ;)

Which ever one you buy, make sure it has a fuel valve and use it because the fuel around here will play havoc with the engine. Good luck with your purchase.

Really? I tow mine all over. I think it's fine. I don't recomend a long haul, as they have small tires and highway speeds may not be good, but around town it's fine.

Same, just I keep it no faster than 45-50 and go carefull over potholes/bumps.

Really? I tow mine all over. I think it's fine. I don't recomend a long haul, as they have small tires and highway speeds may not be good, but around town it's fine.

ditto, i keep the huskee to 35 or so though and dont go to far with it

Status
Not open for further replies.