log splitter moving slowly in both directions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenc18901

Jul 19, 2020
PA
I have a 28 ton huskee log splitter. worked fine until: I was splitting wood and when I returned the cylinder and tried to split another piece the ram started to move slowly . I f I waited for it to make it a quarter of the way and tried to return it also returned slowly. I replaced the dent valve and no change. I am going to change the filter and the fluid. What is the process or flow chart for troubleshooting this issue?

Low hydro juice, low flow or aeration are top on the list to check. Secondary would be bad cylinder seal or a love joy connection slipping. A collapsed low pressure line could also cause this.

Reactions: triptester
Thank you. At least I am headed int he right direction. I am replacing the fluid 1) because it is time 2) to make sure it is topped off. I am thinking that maybe a set screw (loveJoy) has backed out enough to not get a full grip, but not enough to notice. Thank you again I am also changing the filter in case of clogging.

Last edited:
Before I spent the money and effort to change the fluid, I would rule out a pump that may be dumping metal shavings into the fluid. Top it off, change the filter, verify the lovejoy is happy.

Reactions: kenc18901
I am having a hard time finding a filter. The manual does not give a good number and the one that is already on the splitter does not have any markings.

So I found this on one of the other threads here
Fram 1653A
Napa 1553
Cross 1A9023
Baldwin BT839
Wicks 51553

Haven't located a gauge yet. Topped off the hydraulic fluid, replaced filter with Napa 1553 , ran about 4 full cycles and ram still moves at a snails pace. Placed a piece of oak sideways at the bottom. Motor didn't struggle and did not stall. Ram pushed its way through the wood. Pump got a high pitched whine, but pushed through. When I allow the ram to fully retracted so that the dent valve will stop on its own pump will get that high pitched whine before returning to neutral. Motor never seems to struggle. I pulled a magnet along the bottom of the hydro tank and I only pulled up what looked like to be a large spring. No metal shavings. No noticeable leaks either. Lovejoy seems to be happy.

Log splitter pumps are two stage. They’re supposed to be in high speed unless pressure goes up like when you hit a nasty log and then the pump shifts to high power. There is a little spring/adjustment thing on the pump for this transition.

Do you think your pump is stuck in high power stage? Not sure the names of stages, maybe like low range.

At this point I would figure out if you are building proper pressure. Knowing that will eliminate about half of the troubleshooting.

Log splitter pumps are two stage. They’re supposed to be in high speed unless pressure goes up like when you hit a nasty log and then the pump shifts to high power. There is a little spring/adjustment thing on the pump for this transition.

Do you think your pump is stuck in high power stage? Not sure the names of stages, maybe like low range.
Yes I am thinking that the pump is stuck in high power stage

What would happen if you hit it with a good size hammer?

I glad someone else thought of the hammer. I ran the splitter in both extend and retract while hitting the pump with a mallet. several times. no change in anything. no sound change no moment change. So now I am thinking that maybe something is stuck in the pump. Not sure how the pump changes from high to low. Still working on a gauge and fittings.

A 2-stage pump is basically 2 pumps in 1 housing powered by a single drive shaft. One pump is high volume with a relief valve and the other is low volume with no relief. There is a check valve in the discharge of the high volume pump that closes when the relief opens allowing only fluid from the low volume/high pressure pump to continue into the system.
If the high volume pump is not putting fluid into the system then either the high volume relief is stuck open or the key-way connecting the pump gear to the drive shaft is broken.

Reactions: kevin j
So I pulled off the Straight Fitting that connects the tank to a hose that goes to the inlet of the pump. There was a piece of plastic that may have been a reverse flow check. It was positioned in such a way that it was restricting flow to the pump. It was moving back and forth with which ever way the flow of the hydraulic fluid went. I can't find this piece in the schematics.

From an older post I believe may be a one way check flow valve. I put the splitter back together and it was operating like it should. I think it actually extends and retracts faster. I put a piece of wood sideways and it pushed through. The engine doesn't stall and when returning the valve release when it reaches the end, like it is suppose to. Spring was found in supply tank and the black plug was found in the end of the supply hose closest to the tank. I assume that these closed off the supply tube so that fluid stayed in the pump? This part is no where in my parts schematic.

Attachments

Attachments

• Splitter spring and .jpg
    Splitter spring and .jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 591
So I pulled off the Straight Fitting that connects the tank to a hose that goes to the inlet of the pump. There was a piece of plastic that may have been a reverse flow check. It was positioned in such a way that it was restricting flow to the pump. It was moving back and forth with which ever way the flow of the hydraulic fluid went. I can't find this piece in the schematics.
Filter by-pas

Attachments

• splitter2013 091.jpg
    splitter2013 091.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 215
triptester has it dead on- need a new filter housing assembly. Many eons ago I had one where the bypass section went south and jammed up the works- found out about it when the pressure built up enough to blow the filter housing assembly apart. Maybe two hours on unit. After finding the pieces I came to the conclusion that the housing assembly had been installed backwards by the oem. Most have an arrow indicating flow direction ( should be pointing at tank - this one was not). Trials and tribulations of Chi-com mfg equipment.

So that bypass "plug" and spring puked out of the filter head and into the tank? and then this junk made its way to the pump intake hose? I thought there were baffles inside the tank. Either way, good find!

at least it did not make it into the pump proper- than would have been a real mess.