Logistics of adding a wood stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wstone1

Feb 9, 2017
Baltimore
I live in a townhouse with a wood burning fireplace. In the basement, there is a recessed area (directly below the fireplace which is one the main level).

We have a wood stove that were looking to put into the main level fireplace; however, I'm wondering if it's possible to add a wood stove within the recessed spot of the basement and have it vent into the above fireplace and out the chimney?

1) has anyone ever had a multi-level fireplace like this?

2) if so, what is the approximate cost and/or is there a better option?

3) I'd be open to addinng the wood stove in the basement then making the main level fireplace a cosmetic area rather than actually using it OR not using it at all.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my ignorance if this solution is simple.

You couldn't tie it into the fireplace. You could run a new class A chimney up beside the current fireplace and flue if it's wide enough. The siding would need to be removed. Removing the fireplace would be an option if there isn't room to run a new chimney around it. If you went that route, I'd encourage you to pull the fireplace out and install the woodstove on the main level rather than the basement. It would heat the space much better, and be cheaper.

Typically in townhouses they have zero clearance fire places, most builders grade fire places do not have class a chimneys, they have air cooled chimney's that are made to match the needs of the fire place (which most of these builder's grade fireplaces have warnings about running them continuously, there only made to run for short periods of time)
So in reality you would have to open up the chimney chase, inspect and possibly change out the existing chimney to class a pipe (unless truly masonry with the proper clearances)
Also like Webby has said, one appliance to one chimney, no two can share the same.